PDA

View Full Version : Query Letter

NiennaC
06-09-2007, 12:45 AM
If an agent says in their profile I like "This, this and this" and you have those things in your story do you specifically say in the letter "and my story has this, this and this, I heard you like that" or something to that effect, or do you just try to make her see that your book has those things through the discussion of the plot/characters and never say anything specific about it? Is there a right or wrong, professional/unprofessional way to do it?

reenkam
06-09-2007, 12:52 AM
In the query I recently sent that turned into a full ms request I had a paragraph where I said something like "I recently saw on your agency's website that you are interested in X and X and X. My novel contains X and X and I also enjoy writing X." I'm assuming she liked this personalized paragraph, but I can't really be sure.

What's everyone else think?

Legionsynch
06-09-2007, 01:12 AM
I'd include it. It shows you researched the agent, and that you have a solid reason why you think they'd be interested in reading about your manuscript.

NiennaC
06-09-2007, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll put it in then.

justpat
06-09-2007, 06:33 PM
I think the more you can demonstrate your knowledge of that particular agent,the better.

And on another note, Nienna, I have to wholeheartedly agree with you about your sig line. I don't think CSS is ready for the real world. I don't understand why so many people rave about it. I use it very sparingly.

Sandy J
06-09-2007, 06:39 PM
I think the more you can demonstrate your knowledge of that particular agent,the better.

I agree an agent wants to know you've done your leg work. He/she won't want to waste time on the wrong genre/style, etc...

I hate the query process. It has to be the most discouraging thing a writer can go through. Such an emotional roller coaster. No. No. Partial. Thanks, but no. Full. No. No. Hopefully, one day soon for you it will be a big, "YES!"

justpat
06-09-2007, 07:07 PM
I hate the query process. It has to be the most discouraging thing a writer can go through. Such an emotional roller coaster. No. No. Partial. Thanks, but no. Full. No. No. Hopefully, one day soon for you it will be a big, "YES!"

That's one of the reasons I created the QueryTracker.net (http://QueryTracker.net) website. It doesn't help with the emotional ups and downs, but it helps to keep the process from turning into complete chaos.

tombookpub
06-10-2007, 03:29 AM
And then upon interest in a QL, then the proposal which can potentially lead to contacting publishers who in turn mull over these - several months later....