Query Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
If an agent says in their profile I like "This, this and this" and you have those things in your story do you specifically say in the letter "and my story has this, this and this, I heard you like that" or something to that effect, or do you just try to make her see that your book has those things through the discussion of the plot/characters and never say anything specific about it? Is there a right or wrong, professional/unprofessional way to do it?

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
In the query I recently sent that turned into a full ms request I had a paragraph where I said something like "I recently saw on your agency's website that you are interested in X and X and X. My novel contains X and X and I also enjoy writing X." I'm assuming she liked this personalized paragraph, but I can't really be sure.

What's everyone else think?

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
I'd include it. It shows you researched the agent, and that you have a solid reason why you think they'd be interested in reading about your manuscript.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll put it in then.

justpat

QueryTracker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.querytracker.net
I think the more you can demonstrate your knowledge of that particular agent,the better.

And on another note, Nienna, I have to wholeheartedly agree with you about your sig line. I don't think CSS is ready for the real world. I don't understand why so many people rave about it. I use it very sparingly.

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
I think the more you can demonstrate your knowledge of that particular agent,the better.

I agree an agent wants to know you've done your leg work. He/she won't want to waste time on the wrong genre/style, etc...

I hate the query process. It has to be the most discouraging thing a writer can go through. Such an emotional roller coaster. No. No. Partial. Thanks, but no. Full. No. No. Hopefully, one day soon for you it will be a big, "YES!"

justpat

QueryTracker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.querytracker.net
I hate the query process. It has to be the most discouraging thing a writer can go through. Such an emotional roller coaster. No. No. Partial. Thanks, but no. Full. No. No. Hopefully, one day soon for you it will be a big, "YES!"

That's one of the reasons I created the QueryTracker.net website. It doesn't help with the emotional ups and downs, but it helps to keep the process from turning into complete chaos.

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
And then upon interest in a QL, then the proposal which can potentially lead to contacting publishers who in turn mull over these - several months later....

Status
Not open for further replies.