more about queries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
If you have an author that you love, and you find out who their agent is and want to query them, would you mention the author in the query letter? On one hand I'm thinking no because it's not like you know the person, but on the other hand it shows that you've done some research and know material that the agent likes.

So which is it, in your opinion?

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder the same thing, because one person says it's a good idea while others say that they hate it.

I don't do it, because I'm uncomfortable doing name-dropping like that, but sometimes I wonder if it would help in some cases.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
That's a good question. I think it's a good idea if your book shares qualities with the book the author wrote. There are a lot of different opinions on comparing books in your query letter, but some people say they like it because it shows that you know the market and where your book fits in.

I don't think I'd mention it otherwise. But I could be wrong. It might help. Dunno.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
If I've read something that the agent has repped, I go with a "I thoroughly enjoyed Book X that you represented. I am seeking representation for..."

Then (I hope) my query letter shows how the two would have the same audience or that the agent may enjoy mine as well.

I think that if I admire work they've represented, it doesn't hurt to tell them, as long as you're careful not to imply your book is Just As Good And Deserves Immediate Publication.

Last edited:

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I think all agents like it if you have researched their interests and preferences before querying. Telling them you appreciate one of their clients both flatters their good taste in signing that author and shows you've done a little investigation and aren't just sending queries to everyone. I agree that I wouldn't say, "...and my book is just like his," though.

Jedi Dad

Writing with Force
Registered
Reaction score
If I've read something that the agent has repped, I go with a "I thoroughly enjoyed Book X that you represented. I am seeking representation for..."
Then hopefully my query letter shows how the two would have the same audience or that the agent may enjoy mine as well.

I think that if I admire work they've represented, it doesn't hurt to tell them, as long as you're careful not to imply your book is Just As Good And Deserves Immediate Publication.

I think that is a good ice breaker.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'll see if I can work it into my query or not. I don't think I'm on the same level as the author I'm talking about (she's amazing) so there definitely won't be comparison there, but I'll try to mention it generally to show that I did some research.

justpat

QueryTracker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.querytracker.net
If your work is similar or you were somehow inspired by that author, by all means mention it. This could give the agent a good idea about your work before they even read it.

Warning, this is where I shamelessly plug my website:
If you are looking for the agent of a particular author, check out my site at
http://querytracker.net/clients.php
It has an extensive list of authors and the agents who represent them (among other things).

Status
Not open for further replies.