Doomsday

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
If I were to say that filming on "Doomsday" has finished and it's now in post-production, you'd probably stare blankly. Or maybe Shrug.

But if I were to tell you that Doomsday is Neil Marshall's latest film, some of you may get a little excited.

If I tell the rest of you that Neil Marshall is the writer/director of Dog Soldiers and The Descent, you should all now be very very excited.

Am I right?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, not for me, because I've never seen those two movies. But, I'll take your word for it and put them on my "watch list".

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just looked for the movies at my local library website. They had The Descent (and I requested it); they didn't even have Dog Soldiers, so it's no wonder I haven't seen it.

I see he also wrote the screenplay for The Flamingo Kid, that I have seen.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever seen The Hole with Keira Knightley and Thora Birch? It's an interesting movie; better than I expected. The Descent reminds me a bit of it. There's also that movie with Rachel Ward and the schoolkids where they're trapped underground . . . I can't remember the name of it offhand.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever seen The Hole with Keira Knightley and Thora Birch? It's an interesting movie; better than I expected.
No. But I do remember seeing advertising for it at the time, it didn't look like much. Mayhaps it deserves a look.
The Descent reminds me a bit of it.
I'd reserve judgement until you've seen the Descent.
Although, a word of caution. It would be best to watch The Descent in as dark a room as possible.
There's also that movie with Rachel Ward and the schoolkids where they're trapped underground . . . I can't remember the name of it offhand.
The Cave? I haven't seen it, but The Descent was released in the States after the Cave and some (unenlightened) folks said it was a knock-off. Despite it being released first in the UK before the Cave.
Anyway...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No. But I do remember seeing advertising for it at the time, it didn't look like much. Mayhaps it deserves a look.
The setup for The Hole was a little far-fetched (to get out of some kind of boarding school thing, a small group of kids locked themselves in an old WWII bunker with only one guy on the outside knowing they're there), but the ending turned out to be better than I was expecting as I watched the movie.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'll be looking for The Hole I think.
the ending turned out to be better than I was expecting as I watched the movie.
That reminds me.
When The Descent was released in theatres in the US, they changed the (Superb) ending to make it a little more "Hollywood". Both endings are probably on the DVD, but you should probably be aware of it.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
The Descent and Dog Soldiers are great films. Looking forward to Doomsday in a big way.

That wasn't meant to rhyme ;)

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the Descent, but I haven't watched Dog Soldiers.
Dog Soldiers is a good deal lighthearteder but just as good (All male rather than all female)
What exactly is Doomsday about?
well,
Wikipedia said:
Doomsday takes place three decades after a lethal virus called the Reaper nearly wipes out Scotland and causes the rest of the world to wall off the country. When the Reaper begins to emerge in another country 30 years later, an elite team and their leader (Rhona Mitra) is sent to the contaminated landscape of the walled-off country to find a cure.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
Well, I know why I don't like Rhona Mitra, and it only partially has something to do with her (lack of) acting abilities. But I have heard of Doomsday, or the story behind it, and I liked Descent. So, I'll look forward to the day.

Edit: Wow, I literally go from one page to another and chaos switches her avatar. Although reps for going back to the smiley time av!

Last edited:

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
I just got it! Why so many of y'all have seen the Descent but not Dog Soldiers. I don't think Dog Soldiers got a theatrical release in the States.
If I remember rightly, some distributers deemed it "Too British" for an american release. Ah Well, such is life.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen both films and both are pretty good, worth a watch, but I wouldn't go back to watch them again and again. I did see Descent on DVD, and I watched the alternate ending, but for the life of me can't remember which one was which?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
well,
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Doomsday takes place three decades after a lethal virus called the Reaper nearly wipes out Scotland and causes the rest of the world to wall off the country. When the Reaper begins to emerge in another country 30 years later, an elite team and their leader (Rhona Mitra) is sent to the contaminated landscape of the walled-off country to find a cure.
I bet I know how the world is saved. They feed it haggis until it gets sick and dies!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Dog Soldiers got a theatrical release in the States.

I've seen it - so it must have. I don't think I was watching some strange British signal on the satellite - but I can't recall what station carried it. I want to say the Sci Fi channel. It wasn't on Pay Per View, I know that. But I liked it.

ETA: It never did come out in THEATERS here, I don't think.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Dog Soldiers is a good deal lighthearteder but just as good (All male rather than all female)
well,

I've seen both movies and yay for another Marshall, basically, because he's played a blinder both times. Thank God for someone doing real horror.

Dog Soldiers was not all-male, though - there was a rather important female in the mix. But the actress who played her was the only blip in my enjoyment of the film.

She (or the character) just didn't ring true, and the actress had that awful, accent-less, drama-school voice that doesn't belong anywhere in the real world. She was supposed to be posh, but she was just what we actors call RP - 'received pronunciation' - like a newsreader used to be before they allowed them to have accents.

Nevertheless, good horror film, and I loved The Descent.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
PS, I thought the book of 'The Hole' was very good, but the film? Not so much. The book was written by a sixteen-year-old boy, I seem to remember.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PS, I thought the book of 'The Hole' was very good, but the film? Not so much. The book was written by a sixteen-year-old boy, I seem to remember.
The Hole was one of those movies that I would have given maybe a "C" to as I was watching it, but I'd probably give the ending a "B" or even "B+". That's kind of the reverse of so many movies where the movie is pretty good until the ending (then you go, "You gotta be kidding me?").

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen it - so it must have. I don't think I was watching some strange British signal on the satellite - but I can't recall what station carried it. I want to say the Sci Fi channel. It wasn't on Pay Per View, I know that. But I liked it.

ETA: It never did come out in THEATERS here, I don't think.
If I remember correctly, SciFi did show it on telly in the States. But they re-edited it.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
There's probably a thread for this already but I can't be bothered to look for it.

So, Doomsday - Neil Marshall's latest. Watched it a couple of nights ago and I loved every minute of it, every Snake Plisken/Escape From New York and Mad Max lift.

Anyone else see it?

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
I saw it at the cinema.

And bought the DVD.
It is good. Apart from anything else, it's great seeing the actists from his previous films ("Hey, isn't that Holly driving?" "Barbequed Sarge?")

As a film it's very obviously based on a love of Escape form New York and Mad Max. Although Malcolm MacDowell does a pretty fair Kurtz. And what's-her-face-off-of-Boston-Legal's not too bad either.

Well worth a watch.