Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Recently, two popular pop-culture comics have started storylines where their characters are crossing worlds.

Just so everyone knows what I'm talking about, first, some links:

http://uglyhill.com/d/20070605.html

http://www.pvponline.com/article/3362/thu-jun-07

I think it would be fun if more authors in general, not just the authors of comics, did this. Why do I never seem to see two authors agree, outside of comics, to let one another play in the other's sandbox?

Am I the only one who thinks it would be fun to try something like this?

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
It's rare as far as I can tell, but I know of at least one example. in the thriller short story collection edited by James Patterson, where two authors let their characters meet. I can't remember their names, though.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
There was a wonderful episode of The X Files that started out as an episode of Cops until, all at once, Mulder and Sculley turned up...

HP Lovecraft actively encouraged some of his friends to take what he'd written and run with it. He enjoyed seeing their takes on what he'd written.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I don't know how often it happens in original fiction, but it happens all the time in television and tie-in novels. One of my favorite tie-ins was a book that crossed X-Men with Star Trek: The Next Generation. Seriously.

John Munch (L&O: SVU) crossed over to The X-Files. Third Watch and E.R. crossed. So did Third Watch and Medical Investigation.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
And at last, J.P. Beaumont & Joanna Brady met! (I'm a J. A. Jance fan!)

I think it may happen more often than we know - I seem to remember some Peter Straub & Stephen King characters showing up on each others' turf.

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
Remember ET recognizing a R2D2 figurine in the movie.

Remember the ET's in the senate as part of The Phantom Menace.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how often it happens in original fiction, but it happens all the time in television and tie-in novels. One of my favorite tie-ins was a book that crossed X-Men with Star Trek: The Next Generation. Seriously.

John Munch (L&O: SVU) crossed over to The X-Files. Third Watch and E.R. crossed. So did Third Watch and Medical Investigation.
My roommate loves Munch. She claims the character's actually been on 7 television shows (though some may be other L&Os). Off the top of my head the only other one I can remember was Homicide.

But, yeah, television is huge on cross-overs.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
I think it would be fun. I've already discussed it with another writing friend, because I want her character Thomas to come swoop in and create chaos amongst my own characters. (Her villain is HAWT!)

Of course, neither of us are published...

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an only child, so I don't like to share. Build your own world.

The 3rd Watch/ER cross worked really well, but those were both shows taking place in the 'real' world at the same time, so it was really just a matter of having someone travel from Chicago to NY.

I don't think 'crossing' generally works very well in fantasy (or fan fiction).

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
My roommate loves Munch. She claims the character's actually been on 7 television shows (though some may be other L&Os). Off the top of my head the only other one I can remember was Homicide.

Oooh, trivia! Let's see, actor Richard Belzer has played the character of John Munch on 8 shows.

He originated on the show Homicide: Life on the Street. While on that, he guested on an episode of The X-Files, and also on several eps of the original Law & Order. After Homicide was cancelled, he became a series regular on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. While on SVU, he guested on a short-run cop show called The Beat. He has also appeared on Law & Order: Trial by Jury, Arrested Development, and Sesame Street.

The only L&O incarnation he hasn't guest starred on is Criminal Intent.

Of note (and slightly OT, sorry!), runners up for playing the same character on different shows go to John Ratzenberger and George Wendt who played Cliff Clavin and Norm Peterson in Cheers, St. Elsewhere, The Tortellis, Wings, The Simpsons, and Frasier.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.