Status
Not open for further replies.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I just got a shipment of my books from my publisher.

I was thinking that I could maybe donate a dozen to the service-men and women out there in harms way.

After some tentative looking, seems you can't just donate things like care-packages, so, since I know there are some military folks on the board, and folks with family serving, if they could help me set this up, I'd be very appreciative. Either PM me, or list here, so maybe others can do it.

I know it's not a lot, in the greater scheme of things, but I figure in down-time, a book to read and pass around might be something to divert attentions away from the day-to-day work.

Thanks in advance.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
My local library has a Books for Troops program. Their notice says:
How else can you support our troops overseas? Donate your paperback books. Automotive, recreational and sports magazines are wanted by our troops too! Friends of the Library is working with a national program to send paperback books to service men and women overseas. The Friends has collected an estimated twenty-five thousand books so far as part of "Operation Paperback.​
Maybe your library has a similar program? If not you'd be a perfect person to start one :)

http://www.operationpaperback.org/

KCH

Registered
Reaction score
Soldiers Angels is a wonderful organization that pairs people with individual soldiers during their tours of duty. It's incredibly rewarding and fun. They're not looking for care packages so much as consistent, steady letters. Many have access to emails, so you can really get a timely back-and-forth going.

Of course, I send care packages anyway, as do my friends who are 'angels" too. If the soldier has a wish list, it's almost always for things for the other soldiers. Books and cds and other personal pastime-time stuff; games and cards and puzzles for common areas. Books are always a hit, and I know they'd especially appreciate it coming from the author!

soldiersangel.org

Status
Not open for further replies.