PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Mystery chat?

majilique
06-08-2007, 05:53 AM
I thought tonight was to be the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller Chat? Tonight is Thursday and the first one of the month, right?

Cassiopeia
07-07-2007, 05:58 AM
I thought tonight was to be the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller Chat? Tonight is Thursday and the first one of the month, right?
I was there last night and Modbabe, who has been in charge of having it, didn't show up so it was called off, on account of a lack of interest.

Just in case someone doesn't know, the chats are held on the IRC server for Absolutewrite and the various discussion topics show up in the calender.

I would have loved to have had a discussion last night but let's hope for the best next time. :D

JBI
07-07-2007, 06:15 AM
The problem with the chat is that there isn't enough interest.

Good Word
07-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Let me see what I can do to revive it.

Are there particular topics you'd be interested in?

Soccer Mom
07-08-2007, 02:09 AM
My problem has been the time. Is there a different time that we could do these? I would love to participate. I'm curious to know if others think the classic mystery is dead. And does a cozy have to have a niche? (culinary, knitting, gardening, dog shows, etc....)

Cassiopeia
07-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Let me see what I can do to revive it.

Are there particular topics you'd be interested in?That would be great if you could revive it.

Potential topics:

How to build suspense
Creating the bad guy/girl
The difference between Mystery, Thriller, Suspense
Twist endings: necessary or not
How many words should they be
Agents who handle this genre
Publishers to aim for with this genre
Markets for mystery shorts
Preferences for Protagonist--male or female
Crossing the genres--is it realistic

Those are just a few I could think of off the top of my head but I am sure we can come up with a lot more.

Thanks for your help :)

Cassiopeia
07-08-2007, 08:25 AM
My problem has been the time. Is there a different time that we could do these? I would love to participate. I'm curious to know if others think the classic mystery is dead. And does a cozy have to have a niche? (culinary, knitting, gardening, dog shows, etc....)

I think the term mystery is really being taken over by suspense or thriller. It seems to me that most stories now have some sort of twist to them.

What time is best for you? I am willing to be flexible. :)

Pthom
08-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Just so you all know, the MTS chat has been pre-empted so that we can host the moderated talk by Bill Fitzhugh. (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1544908&postcount=19)

Mr. Fitzhugh will speak on Characters and Characterizations: Making a Lasting Impression Through the People Populating Your World.

If you want assistance in setting up a different time for your forum chat, please feel free to contact me.

Cassiopeia
09-08-2007, 04:20 AM
The mystery chat isn't happening anymore. I find that a bit discouraging and wish someone would do something to help bolster this genre.

Rolling Thunder
09-08-2007, 04:21 AM
That is a mystery...

Cassiopeia
09-08-2007, 04:24 AM
That is a mystery...OH bite me!

*screams*

NO NOT LIKE THAT!

Rolling Thunder
09-08-2007, 04:52 AM
I'd make a crude reference about showing you my candlestick, but the mystery writer's would probably de-construct the imagery and come to the conclusion that Captain Biggerly killed Miss Good-n-Plenty in the coat closet.

Or something like that...

Cassiopeia
09-08-2007, 04:55 AM
I'd make a crude reference about showing you my candlestick, but the mystery writer's would probably de-construct the imagery and come to the conclusion that Captain Biggerly killed Miss Good-n-Plenty in the coat closet.

Or something like that...How simplistic you make us all seem. *stomps off in a snit*

Rolling Thunder
09-08-2007, 04:56 AM
How simplistic you make us all seem. *stomps off in a snit*

You can't just leave like that! The murder investigation hasn't even started yet.

Cassiopeia
09-08-2007, 05:02 AM
You can't just leave like that! The murder investigation hasn't even started yet.

*stops mid snit* Did you say murder investigation? *interest peeked*

Rolling Thunder
09-08-2007, 05:06 AM
Heh...mystery writers are sooooo predictable. :D

Cassiopeia
09-08-2007, 05:19 AM
Heh...mystery writers are sooooo predictable. :DOh shut your snout! *stomps on the aardvark*

Rolling Thunder
09-08-2007, 05:26 AM
Mods! Murder in the Mystery Forum!

Cassiopeia
09-08-2007, 05:41 AM
Mods! Murder in the Mystery Forum!They have long since abandoned the place my dear....you have no hope of rescue. *evil glint* That and well, who would believe that someone such as I would commit murder?

Rolling Thunder
09-08-2007, 05:44 AM
Oh shut your snout! *stomps on the aardvark*

Um...you left evidence behind. :D

Cassiopeia
09-08-2007, 05:48 AM
Um...you left evidence behind. :DI don't see anyone looking for it...do you? This forum is dead. I can do what I want and plead innocent. I have been framed, you hacked my profile and you are posting as you and me both.

I tell you, these people will never EVER believe it!

Rolling Thunder
09-08-2007, 05:53 AM
I haven't posted a single sexual innuendo. They'll never believe *I* was posting. :D

Cassiopeia
09-08-2007, 05:58 AM
I haven't posted a single sexual innuendo. They'll never believe *I* was posting. :DYET.

Rolling Thunder
09-08-2007, 06:00 AM
There were 294 views earlier. Now there are 321. The lurkers know my innocence!

Cassiopeia
09-08-2007, 06:05 AM
There were 294 views earlier. Now there are 321. The lurkers know my innocence!
Hun, do that math. 321-294=27

You and I account for 16 of those views. So 11 people have read this thread.

*walks off smiling completely unconcerned by the numbers*

Rolling Thunder
09-08-2007, 06:18 AM
Eleven lurkers know my....oh, the hell with it.

*leaves through other door, escaping with his life* :D

Cassiopeia
09-08-2007, 06:36 AM
Eleven lurkers know my....oh, the hell with it.

*leaves through other door, escaping with his life* :DFor now. :cool:

Mod35tBabe
09-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Guys my sincerest apologies, but I've been busy and there was such a lack of interest I think I got a bit of a "Well no point going since noone will come to my chat anyway" kind of attitude. I know I shouldn't have, but a couple of times there I did try to run a chat it petered out in about 10 minutes, it just seemed pointless. I didn't know how to drum up interest in it but if you guys are willing to take it over, by all means. I'm getting into the deeper part of my course now and I'm finding it hard to find time to write, let alone join chat or run a chat. Again, my apologies for basically being a complete slack-ass.