• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

A 5000-year-old murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I call a cold case file. :)

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
I saw a documentary on Otzi that included the moment when the archaeologists first moved the body - and I was appalled! They just swung him across onto a plastic sheet. I trained as an archaeologist - and they were just so unprofessional. As far as I could see, they didn't make any record of the body in situ apart from what the documentary makers were filming, and they didn't take up any of the ground surface from under the body, which could have had useful information to give (preserved pollen samples, for instance, or anything that had leached from the body as it lay there).

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
You gotta be joshing me. I thought getting the soil near/under the body was basic forensic procedure.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I saw a documentary on Otzi that included the moment when the archaeologists first moved the body - and I was appalled! They just swung him across onto a plastic sheet. I trained as an archaeologist - and they were just so unprofessional. As far as I could see, they didn't make any record of the body in situ apart from what the documentary makers were filming, and they didn't take up any of the ground surface from under the body, which could have had useful information to give (preserved pollen samples, for instance, or anything that had leached from the body as it lay there).

It was only months later that someone thought to go back to the site and collect most of his woven-grass cape, his shoe, his hat, and his bow. They were just lying around all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.