PDA

View Full Version : Me and Saul Bellow

popmuze
06-07-2007, 06:02 PM
This is another example from the "youth is wasted on the young" files. But how old do you have to be to learn something? Before this, my highest accomplishment was when I found through the internet that a proof copy of my first book had been among the items auctioned off by John Lennon at a Beatles memorabilia show in Japan for 420,000 yen.

And now, just this morning, rifling through some old published articles of mine, I came upon a copy of Racquet Magazine, Winter 1977, which included my article "Confessions of a Ping Pong Addict." What I never noticed until now was that on the very next page is an article called "Seven Out" by Saul Bellow. It's an excerpt from Humbolt's Gift.

I never could have imagined me and Saul Bellow in the same sentence, let alone side by side in a magazine! Wish I could have appreciated that in 1977.

Anyway, just had to tell someone.

Susie
06-09-2007, 08:17 PM
That's cool, Pop!

SpookyWriter
06-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Dang, Pop that's cool. I imagine you have tons of great stories just waiting to be told. Have a great weekend and if you go back in time, please bring me along for a few hours. I need some inspiration today.

Pisarz
06-10-2007, 03:10 AM
Cool! So what if I was born in 1977; I still get the reference. ;)

Hey, this could be the spark for a novel or short story scene a la Bob Dylan in Byron & Keats.

That reminds me, I should crack open my copy of Ravelstein this summer.

popmuze
06-10-2007, 07:11 PM
this could be the spark for a novel or short story scene.

You should read my blog at Mr411.wordpress.com to see my infamous interview with Leonard Cohen. That one is definitely going to be part of my next novel.

zahra
06-11-2007, 02:41 AM
That's brilliant! Appreciation matures with time. Bask, now.

CaroGirl
06-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Wow. That is beyond cool, and if you really interviewed Leonard Cohen, you're my new hero.

popmuze
06-11-2007, 07:44 PM
I would never lie about something like that.
Here are some of my other interviews that I might post on the site:
Lou Reed
Bruce Springsteen
Keith Richards
Richard Thompson