Status
Not open for further replies.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Lately, I've been having trouble focusing on my writing. I started a new book a few days ago; I have the story mostly mapped out so no problems there. However, I've got stuff on my mind (boring stuff like problems at work and moving house in a few months) which is making it hard to focus. I'm hoping it will sort itself out once I get further into the new book but until then, anyone like to share their tips for focusing on their work?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Seun - I lead a pretty hectic overfilled life. My solution is an insistence on at least an hour of "me" time each evening and an extra couple hours each day of the weekend. I can make fairly decent progress in ten hours a week. However, when I get to critical or fun parts of stories I will go way over the allotment of time because I'm driven to get it all down. Puma

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think Puma's got it: you can't focus when havoc and worry surround you, so you need to carve out a little spot in each day where those elements are not allowed entry. Even if all you can muster is 30 minutes weekdays and an hour weekends, that's 4.5 hours of writing time every week. Math isn't my strong suit, but I'm pretty sure 4.5 > 0 is true.

Maryn, who detests moving house

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
Seun, I'm in the same boat. Work is work, and I'm moving house this summer as well. On top of it, the owners of the house are backpedaling and I'm tearing my hair out. Add into that a 15 month old, and life's other surprises and damn does it get hard to write.

Carving out some time is the only answer. The other thing I've done is taken my daily goal and cut it. I used to try and put 2000 a day down, but instead, I cheer when I get 500. I find it takes away a lot of pressure. I also don't stress if I miss a day here or their. The weekends are always tough, more so when it's the only time to prepare for a move.

For the focus, I'll spend a few minutes before I write-blank page/word processor sheet open so that I can't escape--just reviewing what aim I have for the session. A few minutes is all it takes to get the mindset and off I go.

Good Luck!

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Great advice here, as usual. I would also always write in the same place i.e. bedroom, coffeehouse etc. This will make turn on your brain for writing when you are in the same environment!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Good advice here, people. Thank you. Although I'm ignoring the exercise advice. The last time I ran anywhere was for a bus in 1999 :)

I do write on a regular basis which helps to stay focused on the WIP. I've always been good at leaving work at work but with a few changes over recent weeks, that's been hard.
Mentioning it here helped quite a bit, funnily enough. As a great man once said (OK, it was Bob Hoskins): "It's good to talk."

Status
Not open for further replies.