The Mighty Ducks

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
No, not the movie... but the NHL team just won the Stanley Cup for the first time in team history...thought I would like to share.

When the Carolina Hurricanes won last year I got a chance to have my picture taken with the cup...it's AMAZING :)

GO DUCKS!!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
They haven't been "Mighty" in over a year.

Legally, that is. At heart, they've always been.

Quack.

Poor Canada. Not only not capturing the world championship of their own sport, but losing it to a city whose inhabitants couldn't give a rat's ass about it.

Oh well, there's always curling!

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They did a good job. The Sens seemed to be having problems getting their act together this evening.

And of course having one of your own players put the puck in your net can be... discouraging.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poor Canada. Not only not capturing the world championship of their own sport, but losing it to a city whose inhabitants couldn't give a rat's ass about it.

We invented basketball, too. Hey, we have to do something to pass the time when it's -100 outside.

Backward Masking

Why so serious?
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose they can celebrate, but given how the Senators played, I'd say the Stanley Cup was given to the Mighty Ducks gift wrapped.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Ottawa. I watched the game with mounting disappointment. I hate to say it, but the Ducks outplayed the Sens and <gulp, choke, gasp> deserved to win <hangs head>.

There's always next year. Go Sens Go!

Writing Jedi

Registered
Reaction score

Actually I don't really care which city gets the cup, Canadian or American. Either way, the cup will not be home until it is back in TORONTO.

Okay I am a little ticked the cup is not in Canada.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Actually I don't really care which city gets the cup, Canadian or American. Either way, the cup will not be home until it is back in TORONTO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a team have to make into the playoffs to win the Stanley Cup?

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh, three Finals in a row with a Canadian team, and three years in a row they fail to win it. I know most American teams are mostly Canadian players anyway, but geeze, it would be nice for Canadian fans to be able to celebrate again.

Preferably the ones in Calgary. Jus' saying....

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
If it was any other Canadian team (particularly Toronto or Montreal) I would've cheered and cried for them. But... I hate Alfredsson. Anyway, there are more Canadians on the Duck team than there are on the Senators team. And one of the non-Canadians I'm happy for is Teemu Selanne.

Brad May's gonna bring the Cup to our area for sure! Living near Toronto, I've already laid my hands on the Cup a few times.

Did anyone see the season finale of Boston Legal when Denny Craig knocked the Stanley Cup off his balcony? Priceless.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
More Canucks on the Ducks than on the Senators-wonder which country really won-who cares-go Ducks-have they gone yet?

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Also, another Canadian, Scott Niedermayer, won the Conn Smythe. In all the years that trophy has been awarded, it has only been awarded to a non-Canadian player once (Brian Leetch, NYR, 1994).

There were more Canadians on the Ducks. Getzlaf, Moen and Kunitz are from my province (two from my city) so the Cup is definitely coming here! And there are Canadian fans celebrating here!

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
I work about three blocks away from the Pond, and the last few home games we had here (when it was clear they were on a roll) have made traffic an absolute nightmare when I've tried to leave. Not to mention the fans will park in my building's lot and box me in...it's somewhat dampened my opinion of the team, though I know it's not their fault.

Thus, I am glad they won, if only because now I only have to worry about the Angels fanatics clogging up the freeways. :)

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com

Actually, even when I visited the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto many years back, the cup still wasn't there (out in circulation after the Finals)...

Oops.

Backward Masking

Why so serious?
Registered
Reaction score
If it was any other Canadian team (particularly Toronto or Montreal) I would've cheered and cried for them. But... I hate Alfredsson. Anyway, there are more Canadians on the Duck team than there are on the Senators team. And one of the non-Canadians I'm happy for is Teemu Selanne.

After Game 4's little incident, I'd say a lot of people hate Alfredsson. ;)

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Alfredsson's been a tool since Day One.

I agree. He's a tool. That stunt after game 4 is not new. Anyone remember when he checked Tucker head first into the boards a few years ago? The Cup is better without his name ever on it.