PDA

View Full Version : Need name of men's hair product in 60's, please

Little Red Barn
06-06-2007, 07:50 PM
What was the name of a mans hair product used in the 60's that a man would have used to slick back his hair.

How would that greasy stuff be described as far as smell, look, on a man, I'm wondering...specifically to a child of seven.

I keep thinking it was brillo or something.

ETA: While I',m at it how do you smoke a pipe. Regular pipe tobacco that is in 60's ;)?Take a puff tapp it lightly and set to rest?
thank you
kimmi

C.bronco
06-06-2007, 07:51 PM
brill cream (I'm unsure of the spelling)

Tsu Dho Nimh
06-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya!

Little Red Barn
06-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya!
Thanks C bronco--

tsu is that correct spelling--what did it smell like?

larocca
06-06-2007, 08:31 PM
www.brylcreem.com still exists today, so that is the correct spelling. And the correct smelling.

alleycat
06-06-2007, 08:35 PM
ETA: While I',m at it how do you smoke a pipe. Regular pipe tobacco that is in 60's ;)?Take a puff tapp it lightly and set to rest?
thank you
kimmi
Smoking a pipe is a full-time job. (I'm just joking . . . but not by much).

Basically you fill it, tamp it down, light it, puff it; then occasionally tamp it a little more. Afterward you knock the ashes out by banging the pipe against your shoe. ;-) If the pipe has been used a lot, they use a pipe cleaner on the stem and a pipe cleaning tool on the bowl.

Ziljon
06-06-2007, 08:38 PM
There was also Vitalis.

Little Red Barn
06-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Smoking a pipe is a full-time job. (I'm just joking . . . but not by much).

Basically you fill it, tamp it down, light it, puff it; then occasionally tamp it a little more. Afterward you knock the ashes out by banging the pipe against your shoe. ;-) If the pipe has been used a lot, they use a pipe cleaner on the stem and a pipe cleaning tool on the bowl.
Alley! Hey you, I've missed you ;)

Julie Worth
06-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Butch Wax. Here's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flattop) a fellow wearing it.

rugcat
06-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Describing a smell is quite a challenge for a writer. I can almost smell it as I type, but I'm damned if I can come up with anything. Very helpful, right?

Maybe--sweet, cloying, slight medicinal tang, like cheap cologne but thicker and greasier. (Like the product) I seem to remember it was a white goo, but I might be wrong

Little Red Barn
06-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Thank you Julie and rugcat, I can't get the brylcreem site to open...
Rug, exactly..I can smell it too but darn I'm having trouble describing...It was ughhh yuck though...

Little Red Barn
06-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Butch Wax. Here's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flattop) a fellow wearing it.
Oh yeah I liked that site, thank you Julie.

alleycat
06-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Thank you Julie and rugcat, I can't get the brylcreem site to open...
Rug, exactly..I can smell it too but darn I'm having trouble describing...It was ughhh yuck though...
" . . . sweet, oily smell of Brylcreem . . ."

". . . smelled like rancid suntan lotion . . ."

". . . smelled like a mixture of machine oil and shaving cream . . ."

MidnightMuse
06-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Alley! Hey you, I've missed you ;)

Practice your aim :D

Little Red Barn
06-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Practice your aim :D
Hey Midnight! :D

alleycat
06-06-2007, 09:30 PM
My, what a big font you have.

I haven't seen text that big since the last time someone flounced.

Little Red Barn
06-06-2007, 09:39 PM
My, what a big font you have.

I haven't seen text that big since the last time someone flounced.
Ohh my...
How bout this:
The sweet, cloying smell of Brylcreen smelled like a mixture of machine oil and medicinal tang????

Little Red Barn
06-06-2007, 09:50 PM
No wait.
His thick brown hair was styled as a Duck's Ass attempt at conservative.
The sweet, cloying smell of Brycleem smelled like a mixture of machine oil and medicinal tang, encircling him.
Huh? ohhh arghh

alleycat
06-06-2007, 09:59 PM
"He smelled like a garage mechanic who had just come back from the barber."

;-)))

rugcat
06-06-2007, 10:14 PM
The sweet, cloying smell of Brycleem (Brylcreem)smelled like a mixture of machine oil and medicinal tang, encircling him. Machine oil is a nice twist, but I'm not sure it's accurate.(If you care) Shaving cream is closer, I think. Of course, memories fade.

Little Red Barn
06-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Machine oil is a nice twist, but I'm not sure it's accurate.(If you care) Shaving cream is closer, I think. Of course, memories fade.
No? You think not Rug. Hmm...
Arggg, ok I'll try again :) Thank you

You too Alley!

Little Red Barn
06-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Any better?
His thick brown hair was styled in a conservative Duck’s Ass attempt. I could smell the oily, cloying smell of Brycleem. I gagged as the smell of machine oil and medicinal tang assaulted my nose.

popmuze
06-06-2007, 10:37 PM
I myself used Max Factor's Crew Cut, which smelled like vasoline...or was that gasoline?

gerrydodge
06-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Vitalis! You'd rub it into your hair after shampooing and then when it dried your hair would be as stiff as wire. There were two twins in my grade school--the Addicks twins--and their mother would drench their heads with Viatlis. Everyone wanted to pet their heads. Vitalis--hadn't thought of that stuff in a long time.

alleycat
06-06-2007, 10:43 PM
I think I would use ducktail rather than "duck's ass". Or maybe D.A.

Is your story actually set in the fifties? Or is this guy retro?

alleycat
06-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Vitalis! You'd rub it into your hair after shampooing and then when it dried your hair would be as stiff as wire. There were two twins in my grade school--the Addicks twins--and their mother would drench their heads with Viatlis. Everyone wanted to pet their heads. Vitalis--hadn't thought of that stuff in a long time.
"When you can't shampoo, Minipoo."

Little Red Barn
06-06-2007, 10:59 PM
I think I would use ducktail rather than "duck's ass". Or maybe D.A.

Is your story actually set in the fifties? Or is this guy retro?
Yes in 50's 60's but Alley I sure loved that name--its sooo cute.
Huh, retro, uhhhHmmm, ?Got any other conservative styles for men, but I did say attempt and conservative will that work?

dobiwon
06-06-2007, 11:07 PM
What was the name of a mans hair product used in the 60's that a man would have used to slick back his hair.

How would that greasy stuff be described as far as smell, look, on a man, I'm wondering...specifically to a child of seven.

I keep thinking it was brillo or something.

thank you
kimmi

Specifically to slick back his hair (into the ever-popular DA), Butch Wax was a good product. I'm not sure that it would smell too much; but it did have a greasy feel and look that would make it almost irresistable for a child to touch. A 7-year-old boy would undoubtedly want to rub his hands on the hair, and then rub his greasy hands through his own hair to emulate the "neat" guy.

Pipe tobaccos I remember from the 60s are Prince Albert (in the can or in the pouch), Borkum Riff, Holiday, Mixture No. 79, Apple, and Cherry Blend. I think Captain Black might have been around then too, but I'm not certain. I started smoking a pipe in college in the mid-60s, smoking Cherry Blend and Apple when I was short of cash, or Borkum Riff when I had enough money.
The classy way of filling the pipe was to take a pinch of it out of the pouch or tin and pack it in. Purists always light their tobacco with a match, never a lighter, and use two matches: light the tobacco while puffing with the first match, let it burn for a short time, tamp it gently to get a smooth charred surface, and re-light with the second match. And they always have at least two pipes, so they never have to refill a hot pipe. The proper techique is to tap the ashes out on a cork tamp made especially for the purpose, insert a pipe cleaner through the stem into the bowl, and store vertically, bowl down, in a pipe rack. Only after the pipe is properly broken-in and a good layer of char is built up in the bowl, is the pipe cleaned out with a pipe tool.

[I used to do all that; now I tap out the ashes on anything handy (shoe, telephone pole, truck bumper), keep it unclogged with a nail, and clean the bowl with a flat-blade screwdriver whenever the ash builds up enough to shorten the smoking time to less than 20 minutes per pipeful.]

Now, aren't you sorry you asked?

Little Red Barn
06-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Specifically to slick back his hair (into the ever-popular DA), Butch Wax was a good product. I'm not sure that it would smell too much; but it did have a greasy feel and look that would make it almost irresistable for a child to touch. A 7-year-old boy would undoubtedly want to rub his hands on the hair, and then rub his greasy hands through his own hair to emulate the "neat" guy.

Pipe tobaccos I remember from the 60s are Prince Albert (in the can or in the pouch), Borkum Riff, Holiday, Mixture No. 79, Apple, and Cherry Blend. I think Captain Black might have been around then too, but I'm not certain. I started smoking a pipe in college in the mid-60s, smoking Cherry Blend and Apple when I was short of cash, or Borkum Riff when I had enough money.
The classy way of filling the pipe was to take a pinch of it out of the pouch or tin and pack it in. Purists always light their tobacco with a match, never a lighter, and use two matches: light the tobacco while puffing with the first match, let it burn for a short time, tamp it gently to get a smooth charred surface, and re-light with the second match. And they always have at least two pipes, so they never have to refill a hot pipe. The proper techique is to tap the ashes out on a cork tamp made especially for the purpose, insert a pipe cleaner through the stem into the bowl, and store vertically, bowl down, in a pipe rack. Only after the pipe is properly broken-in and a good layer of char is built up in the bowl, is the pipe cleaned out with a pipe tool.

[I used to do all that; now I tap out the ashes on anything handy (shoe, telephone pole, truck bumper), keep it unclogged with a nail, and clean the bowl with a flat-blade screwdriver whenever the ash builds up enough to shorten the smoking time to less than 20 minutes per pipeful.]

Now, aren't you sorry you asked?
No not at all, thats a perfect descript, Thank you! ;)

alleycat
06-06-2007, 11:39 PM
I told you smoking a pipe was a full-time avocation. Notice that pipe smokers are always calm and relaxed? That's the only kind of people who have the patience to smoke one.

June: Oh, Ward?
Ward: Yes, June?
June: Would you go up and talk to the boys?
Ward: Sure, let me just get my pipe lit.
Two hours later . . .
June: Ward?
June: Have you talked to the boys?
Ward: Right away, dear. I just have to clean my pipe.
June: Please go talk to the boys. Beaver killed his teacher today and Wally is planning to run off with the high school PE teacher, Mr. Burns.
Ward: Right away, dear. Let me just get my pipe put back in its proper holder and my tobacco back in the hermetically sealed humidor. I wouldn't want my Apple Rum tobacco to dry out . . .

Little Red Barn
06-06-2007, 11:43 PM
I told you smoking a pipe was a full-time avocation. Notice that pipe smokers are always calm and relaxed? That's the only kind of people who have the patience to smoke one.

June: Oh, Ward?
June: Would you go up and talk to the boys?
Ward: Sure, let me just get my pipe lit.
Two hours later . . .
June: Have you talked to the boys?
Ward: Right away, dear. I just have to clean my pipe.
June: Please go talk to the boys. Beaver killed his teacher today and Wally is planning to run off with the high school PE teacher, Mr. Burns.
Ward: Right away, dear. Let me just get my pipe put back in its proper holder and my tobacco back in the hermetically sealed humidor. I would want my Apple Run tobacco to dry out . . .
:ROFL:

Gary
06-07-2007, 06:34 AM
When I smoked a pipe in the 50s and 60s, I only used Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco It had a nice shredded texture and no sweet or fruit-flavored additives. Prince Albert was granular and burned too hot, and the can was too bulky to carry in your pocket. Raleigh came in a foil-lined pouch so you could stuff it in any pocket. Of course, that was only important if you worked outside.

The especially oily hair product I recall was Vitalis. Brylcreme had a rather mild fragrance compared to many other products. Vitalis looked like baby oil and smelled like it came from your car's engine. In hot weather, it would liquify and run down your forehead and neck.

I agree with calling it a DA, or a duck tail. Sideburns were also a big thing then, though not the huge mutton chops that came later. Most guys trimmed them at the bottom of their ear.

Tsu Dho Nimh
06-08-2007, 04:59 AM
Brylcream had a distinct odor, slightly sweet but not strong. It was not obvious except real close up.

What I hated about it was IT'S GREASY! The guy rests his head on your shoulder, and the blouse gets a grease spot!

And forget touseling his hair, unless you wash your hands afterwards.

Terry L. Sanders
07-09-2007, 01:00 AM
And the scary thing is, Brylcreem's big selling point was that it was LESS greasy!

And Vitalis was supposed to be for people who thought Brylcreem was too greasy.

(I was a Vitalis kid myself. It wasn't too bad in moderation. Kind of halfway between hair spray and after-shave. Kind of.)