PDA

View Full Version : Can I take back a rep point?

skelly
06-06-2007, 03:30 AM
Just curious. Say I give somebody a rep point, then later--after much consideration--decide that I wish I hadn't given that point (good or bad, doesn't matter). Is it possible to take bac a rep point?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-06-2007, 03:47 AM
I gave a positive one recently, then - upon reading something particularly geared toward causing hatred and discontent - I gave a negative one (the only one I've ever given) to the same person and my note said, "I take it back."

Vice versa, I guess you could give a negative, then go back in with a positive to offset it.

skelly
06-06-2007, 04:03 AM
I honestly don't think that I have ever given a neg rep point. I have reported one post, once, but that's about it. I only ask because I had a rep point disappear from my rep-point page (or whatever it is called) about 30 minutes after it was given. I don't know if it was positive or negative... but the accompanying text was in agreement with me on an issue. Just curious as to why it would disappear. Maybe the person changed their mind? Can we subtract rep points, as well as add? Just curious.

Thanks for the input OFG.....hey! It's June! We made it!

:)

davids
06-06-2007, 04:18 AM
Why would anyone ever want to do that? As Dr. Phil says (okay, I like Dr. Phil): "What's the payoff?" Whoever it was must have been a very unhappy person.

or a blogger bugger patootyeater

Shwebb
06-06-2007, 04:25 AM
I wonder if a thread is deleted in which you got your rp on a post, if that makes your rp disappear?

The only person I've ever given a negative rp to is Rich, who loves 'em. That sadistic so-and-so! I can't bring myself to give him any more, either. Sorry, man. I just . . . can't.

But I'll spank Rich, if he spots me a twenty. ;)

Del
06-06-2007, 04:35 AM
Along the same lines...only upside down.

If you have rep point that you really don't want to look at...say, the giver just gives you the heebeegeebees or said something offensive...can you delete it?

Cath
06-06-2007, 05:09 AM
I wonder if a thread is deleted in which you got your rp on a post, if that makes your rp disappear?

Yup, I think that's the reason. I don't think the value gets discounted, though. Just that the message disappears.

Medievalist
06-06-2007, 05:39 AM
The point and the comment remain, even if the message disappears.

If you really really have a problem with a rep comment someone left you, and it bothers you to see it, you can try PMing MacAllister or ChunkyC as Admins; they might could help you.

If you're getting malicious rep comments, you should let a Mod know; that's not kosher.

Joe270
06-06-2007, 09:24 AM
I had nothing to do with it, I swear.:o

SpookyWriter
06-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Just curious. Say I give somebody a rep point, then later--after much consideration--decide that I wish I hadn't given that point (good or bad, doesn't matter). Is it possible to take bac a rep point?

Sorry Lisa, but I believe he meant to retrieve a rep point given to someone.

i just slightly corrected a mod and now the world has collapsed around me

If you really really have a problem with a rep comment someone left you, and it bothers you to see it, you can try PMing MacAllister or ChunkyC as Admins; they might could help you.

If you're getting malicious rep comments, you should let a Mod know; that's not kosher.

I had someone give me twenty neg rep points at one time. But we agreed that she was a loon, so I let her off the hook.

Medievalist
06-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Sorry Lisa, but I believe he meant to retrieve a rep point given to someone.

Dude, I wasn't responding to the OP, or I Would Have Quoted the Post.

I'm smarter n'what I look.

SpookyWriter
06-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Dude, I wasn't responding to the OP, or I Would Have Quoted the Post.

I'm smarter n'what I look.
Dude? Oh my, isn't that a bit dated? Please call me sir, jon, or spookywriter but never dude. I don't do dude horse ranches. Thanks for understanding.

P.S. If you weren't responding to the original poster then who was the messaged intended for, as a matter of interest.

Medievalist
06-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Dude? Oh my, isn't that a bit dated? Please call me sir, jon, or spookywriter but never dude. I don't do dude horse ranches. Thanks for understanding.

P.S. If you weren't responding to the original poster then who was the messaged intended for, as a matter of interest.

Shweta (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1384586&postcount=6) , who asked about deleted posts with Rep comments associated, and Delarege (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1384619&postcount=7), who asked about dealing with Rep comments you just don't want to see.

SpookyWriter
06-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Shweta (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1384586&postcount=6) , who asked about deleted posts with Rep comments associated, and Delarge (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1384619&postcount=7), who asked about dealing with Rep comments you just don't want to see.Sorry, that's not necessarily true. I read a blind response and accepted it as a reply to the original poster. I didn't see the links you provided, until after the fact, and so I don't know to whom you attributed the response.

Confusion of intent happens for readers when then can't complete the image writers intended without the proper guidance.

Medievalist
06-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Dude, that's not "you"= Spooky, that's the generic you, the one antiquarians indicate by "one": Rep Points "one" doesn't wish to see. As in:

If you have rep point that you really don't want to look at...say, the giver just gives you the heebeegeebees or said something offensive...can you delete it?

SpookyWriter
06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Dude, that's not "you"= Spooky, that's the generic you, the one antiquarians indicate by "one": Rep Points "one" doesn't wish to see. As in:OMG! Lisa, you crack me up. I give up, you win. Have a nice night. Me, spooky, not dude. :D

poetinahat
06-06-2007, 11:16 AM
One is most amused by this thread.

Medievalist
06-06-2007, 11:25 AM
One is most amused by this thread.

PoetDude! That's like, totally awesome, Dude. I'm like diggin' it myself.

Smoooooth !!!!!

(I need coffee. Yeah, coffee!!!!).

SpookyWriter
06-06-2007, 11:27 AM
I need a dictionary of mod terminology. :-(

Pat~
06-06-2007, 11:28 AM

I've deleted a thread (I was the OP) in which I got a few rep points, and the points and comments disappeared.

Medievalist
06-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I need a dictionary of mod terminology. :-(

I'm not a mod, I'm a rocker.

MacAllister
06-06-2007, 11:29 AM
You definitely, definitely don't need any more coffee...

Medievalist
06-06-2007, 11:29 AM
I've deleted a thread (I was the OP) in which I got a few rep points, and the points and comments disappeared.

That's because you didn't actually delete the thread; you merely soft-deleted it. It's a technical thang.

SpookyWriter
06-06-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm not a mod, I'm a rocker.I treat you the same as any (qualified) sane human, so not being a mod isn't a bad thang.

SpookyWriter
06-06-2007, 11:32 AM
You definitely, definitely don't need any more coffee...snicker

Pat~
06-06-2007, 11:32 AM
That's because you didn't actually delete the thread; you merely soft-deleted it. It's a technical thang.

Don't give me no techno-babble.

(I want my rep points back!) ;)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Why would anyone ever want to do that? As Dr. Phil says (okay, I like Dr. Phil): "What's the payoff?" Whoever it was must have been a very unhappy person.

I'm not sure whether you're joking or not, but I'll answer just in case. :)

Believe it or not, there are folks on the 'net (some of 'em have strayed into AW from time to time) whose main joie de vivre is stirring up the populace wherever they land and watching the chaos that ensues. They usually try to act all innocent and can't understand why we'd think that's what they were up to - but they're relatively easy to spot. While we're foaming at the mouth due to some of the things they say, they're getting off on the trouble they caused. That's their payoff.

Rolling Thunder
06-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Stop it. You're making me blush, OFG. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Now, now, RT! Don't go makin' the poor woman think we're talking about you! You're a whole 'nother kettle o' fish entirely. :wag:

Stew21
06-06-2007, 06:27 PM
I gave skelly a rep point, and now it is gone. I have to check to see if the post I repped was deleted. If it was then the point went with it.

I think that's what he was referring to.

Happened to me once. I posted some silly story for Haggis, after he read it and gave me a rep for it, I deleted it so no one else would see it, the rep went with it.

eta: yep, the post I gave the point on is now gone, so the rep went with it.

sorry skelly!

MidnightMuse
06-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Accidentally wandering into this thread was worth it if only for this:

whose main joie de vivre is stirring up the populace

:D

skelly
06-07-2007, 01:07 AM
I gave skelly a rep point, and now it is gone. I have to check to see if the post I repped was deleted. If it was then the point went with it.

I think that's what he was referring to.

Happened to me once. I posted some silly story for Haggis, after he read it and gave me a rep for it, I deleted it so no one else would see it, the rep went with it.

eta: yep, the post I gave the point on is now gone, so the rep went with it.

sorry skelly!
Well, that's all settled. You all can leave now. Thanks for dropping by. Drive safe. Come back when you can't stay so long. Etc.

:)