Story within a story question.

Jedi Dad

Writing with Force
Registered
Reaction score
If my first completed manuscript I have a character tell a story to a group of JR High kids. Both my manuscript and the story he tells are original.

My question is, would it be improper to take the story within the story and submit that as its own piece to a young adult magazine and still leave it in the manuscript when I submit queries for the manuscript.

Manuscript is a YA fiction (15,381 words) and the story in that is within it is 1,316 words.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I personally don't see anything wrong with doing that at all. I know a few other authors who have done just that.

Jedi Dad

Writing with Force
Registered
Reaction score
My next question then would be, if the short story gets published in a magazine, and then I get a request for a full for the bigger story, how do I address the shorter story being a published work?

blackpen

Bizzare in Berkeley
Registered
Reaction score
as far as i know, it would be a plus that a version of your story has already been published and the manuscript for your actual novel would be considered brand new and separate

Jedi Dad

Writing with Force
Registered
Reaction score
So if a magazine buys the rights to a story, I still own the story and can republish it as part of another work?

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
you need to know --what rights did you sell, what reverts back to you and when?

I'm doing that. I wrote a short story and submitted it, but fell in love with the characters. I started expanding the story, and it looks like it's going to be a book. I had an agent tell me that when querying the book (assuming I get there ;) please oh please literary gods and that the short gets published please oh please) it's a bonus, but be sure to tell them. Crossing my fingers she's right.