SICKO

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
SICKO---well Michael Moore is at it again--this time he's attacking the health care industry (health insurance)-- I think he's hit the nail on the head, nailed the last nail in the coffin..

Honestly though, health insurance companies are nothing but rackets, they make TRILLIONS of dollars off people that are "sick" where health companies say we aren't "sick."

Way to go Mr. Moore :) I applaud you.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
listen buster, i know i'm new around here but there's no need to be call me,..

...wait,..oh. ok.
nevermind.

(i didn't see it yet, no comment.)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
The film itself was okay, and I'm stressing just okay here, but I still dislike the man immensely. It causes me to not really give a shit what he has to say. Sort of like Rosie, someday she might say something that makes sense (okay, maybe that's a stretch but you see what I'm trying to say here) but I'm still going to dismiss her out of hand, because it's her. :)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw him on Oprah yesterday.

Our health care system stinks, that is for sure. I know quite a few people who have no health insurance because either their employer doesn't offer any or they just can't afford it. And some insurance companies keep upping their rates and give you less benefits.

I believe he said the U.S. ranks 37th as far as our health care system goes. That's not very impressive.

cjmouser

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cjmouser.com
Our health care system sucks. Full stop. But it's not exclusive in its suckiness. National health care is not so hot either, which is why many British come here to try to stay alive. To them paying $700 a month for health insurance is a joy compared to lackidaisical treatment.

The thing is, people are sicker now than we ever were. It's nothing to know a half dozen people who are being treated for some type of cancer. I remember back when it was referred to as the C word and spoken about in hushed tones.

We have a sick society --- a society that eats junk, overeats, and smokes and drinks and abuses healthy bodies. Then we complain when we can't afford to pay to repair the damage. ON top of that, we have hospitals that are charging astronomical rates ($8 for an aspirin) and getting away with it. They can charge one person $3,500 for an MRI and then turn around and charge the next person $5,800, solely based on the type of insurance they have. It's called Health-care cost accounting and amounts to a free-for-all pricing system between HMOs and health care providers. Why are all people not charged the same for the exact same services?

It seems to me that if medical treatments were made more affordable more people would be willing to pay out of pocket for treatment. My chiropractor charges me $30 a visit. THIS IS REASONABLE for a fifteen minute visit. His office is busy every day.

I don't even want to get into the costs of medicines. That's another area where comsumers are raped regularly.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Be careful for what you wish for about "free" healthcare... A friend of mine is from Canada and she said you'll wait two or three months for an MRI.. So it's not always greener on the other side.

There has to be a happy medium drawn somewhere, unfortunately there won't be.

FatTire

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
Moore has become a cartoon of a cartoon. I'd respect him more (no pun intended) if he just presented the honest facts. Instead, he disorts everything he touches. It waters down his message IMHO.

cjmouser

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cjmouser.com
The happy medium is to set reasonable costs for services. If you had to pay only $50 for an MRI, would you even bother with insurance?

Think about what you're paying for on a very basic level when you are in the hospital. The average charge for a semi-private room is $4-500. That's for a bed and four walls and utilities, television, telephone, intercom to call the nurse. Much like you would get at a motel, (without the intercom) AND without the privacy.

On top of that, everything you receive is itemized. Every time the nurse visits, every test that is taken, every drug that is administered, every time the doctor visits, the water pitcher, disposable cups, Kleenex, TOILET PAPER -- EVERY THING. If you are given one Tagamet for an upset stomach, it shows up on your bill.

If you are charged for every single item that you recieve, how does a hospital warrant charging over $400 a day for a room, when the Motel 6 can do it, including cleaning costs, laundry, sanitation, advertisement, everything, for under $40 bucks a night?

They can't say it's because you are being monitored 24 hours a day, because you pay for that separately.

The last time I got an emergency room bill I almost had a heart attack. I called and told them that if they would send me a bill commensurate with services rendered, I would pay it. My husband got something in his eye, we waited four hours for the doctor to look in his eye, hand him a little tube of cream and refer him to another doctor. It came to over $1,400 dollars. Uh uh. I never heard back from them.

Last edited:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of people in the US clamoring for national health care. But as far as I'm concerned our politicians f--k up every other damned thing they touch, do we really want to put them in charge of our health too? No thanks, I can kill myself just fine without them.

And as far as Michael Moore, I agree with FatTire...if he would just present the facts as they are, he would get a lot farther. Wasn't there a book called Michael Moore Is A Big, Fat Idiot or some such? I thought it was a very apt title, though I never read the book.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Entertainment Weekly just did a feature on this one. One of the things they mentioned in the interview was that Moore hardly appears on camera this time around. He said that he didn't want to upstage the far more compelling stories of the actual sick people he was depicting.

And Moore's documentary style has always been about drawing attention to generally overlooked issues in the most absurd way possible. The fact that he has brought the same style to well known problems doesn't mean that he should be expected to change his style. As writers, I would think we would at least respect the creative integrity of that.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
A buddy of mine is a surgeon in the military. He says they get a lot of patients from Mexico because San Antonio is one of the closest major military posts to the boarder. If there's a bad accident in Mexico, the families will bribe a border guard and dump the injured family member across the border into the U.S. The U.S. military is then obligated to give them full medical care, including long-term open-ended care if they remain in a coma, even if the person has no identification at all. This is all funded 100% by our tax dollars and burdens our military physicians and it happens every single day. So yes, there is PLENTY of free health care in America as long as you're not a resident.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
"So yes, there is PLENTY of free health care in America as long as you're not a resident."

Truth. I'm too young, too old, too rich, too poor, a legal citizen, and without children, so I have no healthcare. Here in California, the majority of our politicians are worrying about the illegals not getting health care. We who pay our taxes count for little in this state. And if I can't afford to buy insurance, I certainly can't afford to pay for national health care.

Okay, rant over. Regarding Moore, because of his blatant bias, i have to take everything he says with a a grain - or shakerful - of salt. He does bring up issues that need to be addressed; it's the man himself that bothers me.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Well at least Michael Moore has the nerve to make a documentary about it and attack the growing problem...

Speaking of services...I had an MRI in April, it cost over $3,000 and two Epidural Steroid Injections at $1,300 a pop...

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Well at least Michael Moore has the nerve to make a documentary about it and attack the growing problem...

Speaking of services...I had an MRI in April, it cost over $3,000 and two Epidural Steroid Injections at $1,300 a pop...

'cause, you know - no one else has heard of the problem.

sorry, I can't take Moore seriously. Ever since he depicted all Canadians as having unlocked doors 'cause we have gun control I've had no time for the buffoon.

and he needs a makeover by the Queer Eye Guys desperately. He makes enough money to afford a shave and a new shirt by now - the "poor fella making good" theme doesn't fly.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Truth. I'm too young, too old, too rich, too poor, a legal citizen, and without children, so I have no healthcare. Here in California, the majority of our politicians are worrying about the illegals not getting health care. We who pay our taxes count for little in this state. And if I can't afford to buy insurance, I certainly can't afford to pay for national health care.

We lived in Sacramento for 12 years and ran into another problem - all the old people from San Francisco sold their homes for millions and moved to Sacramento (which is fine), but they had basically monopolized Kaiser's pain/rehab resources. I had a back injury, but I had to wait 3 months to even get an appointment for a simple Epidural Steroid Inejection. Meanwhile, I laid virtually immoble on my couch with a Duragesic patch and had to go through a week of hellish withdrawls when I got off it. And with the Baby Boomers becoming senior citizens, the problem may not be afforadable health care, but available health care.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
We could always just shoot 'em now.

Besides, you should be thankful. The next wave is my generation and we're waaay whinier.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In West Virginia, the politicians were talking about outsourcing medical care and offering incentives insurance if the members fly somewhere else for some kinds of surgery--like, for instance, India or Thailand. Here's a great blog that explains it.

I don't know what happened to the bill, exactly--after looking at the state employee plan for this year, it doesn't look like it passed. But just the fact that the legislators were considering it says something about our cost versus care ratio.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't there a book called Michael Moore Is A Big, Fat Idiot or some such? I thought it was a very apt title, though I never read the book.

Although not a very original one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0141018410/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

'cause, you know - no one else has heard of the problem.

And who exactly is doing anything about it? Everyone knows it's a problem, and yet nobody's really working toward a solution. I work in health care. There are so many rules governing doctors, and whether or not they can bill for certain tests, but there are hardly any rules to make sure insurance companies pay for what patients need, and allow people to get health care when they deserve it.