Dialog question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
So I've read the different ideas about using words after someone speaks. I've read to ONLY use said, because other words distract from the actual dialogue. And I've read to leave off any "ly's."And I tend to agree with that. My question is this. Now people are leaving out the "he said" "she said" entirely. So a conversation would look like this.

"Jump on the horse."
"But I'm scared."
"You don't have to be scared."
"But I've never ridden a horse before."

...something like that. So what I want to know is if I use this format, what is the correct way to do it? If the paragraph before involves both people do I just proceed with the above example? Or do I start the conversation with; "Jump on the horse." said James. "But I'm scared." said Molly. ...and then go on from there? Is there a proper way to do this? And do agents/editors have a preference at all?

In many of the conversations in my book, it is obvioius that it is between my father and I, so this is coming about a lot.

Thanks, Lavinia

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that to me. If, as you say, it's obvious who is speaking, there's no need for constant tags after the initial identification of the speakers is clear.

If it's a long exchange, a tag of some sort may be needed every now and then to keep the reader on track.

Last edited:

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
The dialogue text is what matters. The "he said" at the end is just fluff, and your editors will figure out what to do.

Make the dialogue unforgettable and you'll be all set.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...OK... It sure feels and looks strange to do it that way. But I've gone back and looked at books I've read recently and honestly I didn't even notice that the "said" was missing. So I know it works. Speaking of which...back to it!

Thanks,

Lavinia

justpat

QueryTracker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.querytracker.net
I wouldn't leave off the 'said' for more than 3 or 4 quotes, after that it could get confusing as to who said what. I've read plenty of books where I lost track of who was talking and had to back track to the last 'said', then count every other quote until I figured out who said the last thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.