PDA

View Full Version : Knocked Up

aka eraser
06-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Saw it with my sons yesterday (aged 17 and 23). We all thought it was hilarious and heartwarming. Two of my favourite h's. You have to suspend disbelief now and again but the great cast and fine writing makes it easy.

Although it features some drug use (grass), some brief nudity and some non-explicit sexual activity, I'd say it's fine for mature kids over 14. That's its rating in Canada btw, 14 A (under 14 needs to be accompanied by an adult).

Go see it. You'll thank me. Probably.

ChunkyC
06-05-2007, 11:48 PM
I reviewed it and quite liked it too. Your typical romantic comedy, but with a heaping helping of Old School thrown in.

You have to suspend disbelief now and again
Like that she'd go to bed with that guy even when drunk? ;) Truthfully, I thought they did a pretty good job of showing that it wasn't inconceivable they'd get together.

Dawno
06-05-2007, 11:57 PM
I read a review on Salon (http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/review/2007/06/01/knocked_up/index.html)(probably premium content, not sure if you have to register, but they do offer free one day passes) that was pretty good. I didn't know that the director is the same guy who did 40 Year Old Virgin, but I loved that movie to death, so I may just go see this one, too.

Southern_girl29
06-06-2007, 12:15 AM
I read a review on the AP wire, which gave it high praise, so I'll probably see it too. I loved 40-Year-Old Virgin. When DH rented it, I thought I wouldn't, but it pulled me in. I think this one probably will, too.

Perks
06-27-2008, 06:14 AM
Frank, Charlie, you know I love you, but WTF?! I almost never turn a film off midway, but I got an hour into this tonight and was rapidly losing the will to live. I barely made it to the remote before I flatlined. That was a close one.

It could be me, but I'm thinking it was the intolerable characters and worse-than-absurd premise this time.

(But 40-Year-Old-Virgin was wonderful - if 15 minutes too long. See, I told you I was broken.)

Bourgeois Nerd
06-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Frank, Charlie, you know I love you, but WTF?! I almost never turn a film off midway, but I got an hour into this tonight and was rapidly losing the will to live. I barely made it to the remote before I flatlined. That was a close one.

It could be me, but I'm thinking it was the intolerable characters and worse-than-absurd premise this time.

(But 40-Year-Old-Virgin was wonderful - if 15 minutes too long. See, I told you I was broken.)

Big fat WORD to this! I couldn't stand this movie either. It's not the actors' fault but there were too many gender cliches, detestable characters (I HATED Debbie and what's worse is I know women like that IRL), and just plain stupid dialogue. This movie was sheer idiocy from start to finish. I agree on 40-Year-Old Virgin. I can't believe the same person wrote both films. And 40 YOV has Catherine Keener, one of my favorite actresses. She's awesome in any movie she's in. :Sun:

Zoombie
06-27-2008, 11:23 AM
I loathed 40 year old virgin. Was it because it struck too close to home? was it because I was watching it while half beaten to death by the epic finale of the marching band season that involved a protracted death march?

Who knows!

All I know is I avoided KU because it was written by the same person...might have to try it again. Speaking of that, might need to try the other one again. It might help not having Johnny's odious presence in the room while watching it...

Blegh.

On the upside, I got to you odious in a sentence!

maestrowork
06-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Saw it with my sons yesterday (aged 17 and 23).

What a nice bonding experience with your sons. :)

Personally I find watching films with sexual themes with my parents very uncomfortable. And I'm an adult.

(I actually liked KU and 40YOV. I loathed Superbad, though, and everything else Seth Rogen has done.)