Teens' Peer Pressure to Smoke Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMeinking

Greetings all,
I'm an author for children (and teens) and I've been assigned a work-for-hire book about Cigarettes and Peer Pressure. This 14,000 nonfiction word book is to contain "stories" or real life stories about peer pressure.
I'm hoping to find some teen (or previous teens) to interview (or get quotes from) about being pressured into trying cigarette smoking by their friends. Or if anyone was able to say "no" to peer pressure, what was said or how they did it would be helpful too.
Please contact me off line at: [email protected]

Thank you. I appreciate your help,
Mary
"FACES," "Family Fun," "Highlights," "Hopscotch,"
"Nature Friend," SIRS on-line database, & "Wee Ones"
Children's Illustrator in "Wee Ones."
Web Site: www.MaryMeinking.com

theengel

Complete Joke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sahdguide.info
I was a teen back when it was cool to smoke (as far as I can tell, it's not anymore). I've never seen such pressure. I'm beginning to think the whole thing is made up...

Much like the pressure to take drugs or drink. Maybe it happens in isolated incidents, but I don't think this kind of 'peer pressure' actually exists. But then again, I've been wrong plenty of times before.

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
Peer presure can be the most obvious or the most subtle thing in the world. Sometimes you don't even realize its happening. You see a group of your friends being super-nice to a new guy and automatically you start trying to figure out why, what he did, so you can copy him and be 'cool' too.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
when I was in 6th grade one of the few people who was nice to me was a highschool girl who smoked. So i tried it. She found out and told me to quit.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I started smoking candy cigarettes first- remember those? Then I progressed to stealing my mom's Winstons. I later bought my own. My brand of choice (Virginia Slims) was advertised in Cosmo, and depicted glamorous models like Cheryl Tiegs, Janice Dickenson, etc.
It wasn't so much peer pressure, it was successful advertising, beginning with candy!

Status
Not open for further replies.