• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Help! I'm Blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking for some feedback or help, if you don't mind.
A little background: I started taking myself and my writing seriously about 4 years ago. I'd always written on and off, and always figured I'd write seriously, someday;) Then I realized my youngest child was two, and it was long past time. I wrote a category romance, joined RWA, got good feedback, submitted to Harlequin, only to find out the line I had targeted was going under. Okay, it was a learning experience.

Then I wrote a single title contemporary romance, revised, edited, rinse, repeat. Then I started researching and submitting to agents. In the meantime I was also writing and working on several literary (sounds so pretentious) short stories. Submitted, got a few "good" rejections on both the short stories and the single title romance. Then my husband needed open heart surgery. I had just started a literary? mainstream? novel where the husband is recovering from a brain tumor, and the challenges and changes now faced by the wife. Lots of research on marriage and the family, and neurology. Ugh. I stopped submitting the romance, and stopped writing the lit fic. Husband's surgery went somewhat awry, insert messy details here, but he's alive and mostly well.

He was as recovered as he's going to be by the beginning of last summer, and I was hoping to recup and restart the submission and writing process when I became a regular at the ICU again, this time with my daughter, who was diagnosed with a neurological disorder. The terms the pediatric neurologist was throwing at me made way too much sense because of all the research I had just done. Talk about irrational guilt. Unending.

My daughter is not getting better, at least not anytime soon, and I am trying to adjust, and find my way to a new "normal" through writing. At first I felt that I couldn't go back to the started lit fic because of the subject matter, and now I feel I need to, if that makes any sense.:Shrug:

I have been unable to do this. I mean bizarre can't make my fingers type when I open that file. And yes, I know where the manuscript is/should be going. It isn't that I'm unable to write anything. Hell, I'm a regular blabberfingers on the board I belong to for parents who have children with this disorder. I wrote an essay dealing with my experiences, hoping the cathartic effect would be enough. Nope. I took out my log of submissions re the single title romance, decided I had enough of a percentage of good rejections, requests for partials and fulls for me to start looking for an agent on that one again, and have sent out some submissions. I even did more revisions and editing first.

But I can't make myself work on this lit fic manuscript, and I desperately want to. Is anyone else on this board in a similar situation? Dealing with a child with a chronic disorder, and still writing? At first I thought I couldn't because I couldn't take my eyes off of her, or stop listening to make sure she's breathing ok. Now I feel that I'm adjusted enough to do so. Or at least I should be.

Sorry this is so long, and thanks for reading. :)

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
You've had some heavy stuff to deal with. Maybe it's time to give yourself a break. Not necessarily stop writing, but write something different. What about something airy and light, and maybe even funny? Writers need to get away from the things life throws at us, so why not take a trip through your imagination? Doesn't matter if it ends up not going anywhere in the end, what matters is that you give yourself a little corner to go play in for a short time. Nothing selfish about it either.

I could say that it's possible you need a break from writing, but I get the feeling you're ready and want to jump back in.

Maybe some others can chime in here too.

Eudaemonic

what? why!
Registered
Reaction score
You shouldn't try going straight back to the novel. Try writing very small things instead - short brainstorms or rants. Get a friend to give you a small list of subjects every week. It can be anything, about anything, poetry or prose, just getting words down on paper is enough. Don't push it, just keep gently trying little exercises, and slowly you will find the urge again.
This technique has helped me before.
I can suggest a list if you like. Don't push yourself - go sentence by sentence, and word by word. Even if some days you only get a few sentences down of anything it will help you feel like you're moving forward.

Suggested list of phrases/titles to start you off - As I said ask a friend, use song titles, book titles, phrases of speech to spark off an idea. Or I can supply a list and you can see how you do with it.

Hope that helps

daemon

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Melanie and Daemon.

I want to write, because writing reminds me I'm a person. I'm frustrated because I had just gotten to a point where I was secure enough to try the lit fic. You know, ignoring the little evil voice that says you can't, you don't have an MFA, blah, blah, blech.

Sure Daemon, if you feel like throwing some suggestions my way, I'm open to trying.

Eudaemonic

what? why!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay sure, here's some. Use them to spark an idea, as a title or as part of a first sentence. Even if you just get three or four sentences down - thta's fine - the important thing is don't get angry with yourself and don't push yourself too hard - even if you think the results are terrible, at least you're writing and it's a start.

Seeing dreams
You win some you lose some
A secret
Gathering storm
Out to lunch
A bucketful of lies
Dancing
When they pass me by what do they see?
I stared at the painting and thought.....

Are those ok or do you want some more?

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
So...I'm sure there's somewhere more appropriate to put this, but I have no idea where. :Shrug:

Yippee! I got a request for a full today on the single title contemporary romance. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.