Subbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

strngchs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkimsmith.com
Over a year ago, I got some really good excellent feedback from several agents that I queried. Well, first of all, I got great response to my book period, and that sent me off on a subbing tangent whereby I got the feedback.

But taking all the info to heart, I have done several revisions, even with the assistance of pro editor.

I feel like this work is ready. I mean seriously, it is now or never time. Either it is gonna sink or swim and either way, I am okay with it.

The dilemma is, is this a bad time to send out subs? I have heard summer is not a good time to do an agent search.

What is the best time?

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
There's probably no "best" time, though, as a general rule, there are some bad times.

Anytime around a three-day holiday is generally a bad time. A major holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th of July here in the States) is a bad time.

The agents I know are a bit more likely to vacation around July and August, when lots of people in publishing try to escape the NY heat by fleeing the city.

All that said, there are lots more agents than publishers, which means there's a broader range of habits and schedules. So your best bet is to research the agents you're planning to sub to, and try to determine what their best and worst times are.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
In the summer, Fridays are half-days in the publishing world. And, like CheshireCat said above, a lot of people summer upstate.

But I got some responses last summer, so you never know. I think with agents, there's really no great time. Personally, I would begin querying; the more you wait, the more apt you are to lose hope in the work. The agents will get to it when they return, and meanwhile you can get on with your next WIP.

Or, you know, you can just sit around and chew your fingernails. :)

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I have a wishful fantasy that precisely *because* publishing goes into lower gear in the summer, agents have more time to solicit and read partials and fulls in the summer.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
Some suggest agents may try to clear their desk before going away and rush through the slush pile. I don't think any self-respecting good agent would do that, but if they do, you know you don't want to work with them. Once they're already gone for their holiday, there's really no reason not to submit. They'll get to it when they get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.