Finn, by Jon Clinch

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Has anyone read this?

I picked it up last week at the library -- although I normally don't read literary fiction (and the use of present tense narrative normally sends me screaming from a room) the premise looked intriguing.

I couldn't put it down. I finished it in three days, and found myself wishing for more.

Thoughts?

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I have not read it yet, but I intend to read it soon. Mr. Clinch was kind enough to write me a letter of encouragement when I learned, through publisher's marketplace, that Random House had bought his book. It is a debut novel and I hear it is splendid.

Gerry

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I've read it. Fabulous book, one that I highly recommend. Dark, raw, powerful and poignant.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
To be honest, after hearing Jon read here in Toronto (which he did beautifully), I realised that the book would just be far too disturbing for me (I get ridiculously affected by things, I mean if Lost gives me nightmares . . .). But I gave a signed copy to my dad for his birthday, and he said it was just absolutely wonderfully written, something I had gleaned from the reading itself.

And to brag a bit, I got to hang out with him and go for drinks post-reading, and he is just about the nicest guy ever. So despite not actually being able to read the book, I am totally his number one fan!

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
His wife is a "cyber friend" of mine from a ski forum. I'll see if I can get him to stop by and say hello!

Jon Clinch

Hey, nice to hear folks saying good things about Finn. Thanks for getting me the link, Lisa.

Glad you didn't run screaming from the room, Patti...

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
Jon Clinch,

I'm just finishing school and so I ordered FINN on amazon. I look forward to reading it. You probably don't remember, but I had contemplated writing a novel about Quentin Compson and Candace. The beginning is at projectedletters as a short story. Anyway, I'm finishing a detective novel and do want to get around to doing that story also.

I can't wait to read your novel. I saw you interviewed on Whyy in Philadelphia. Sounds very compelling.

Gerry

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, nice to hear folks saying good things about Finn. Thanks for getting me the link, Lisa.

Fellow Folio author here, Jon...

Loved the book. Keep up the good work.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com

Hi Jon! Nice of you to stop in!

Since you're here, though, I do have a question for you about "Finn." I was recently talking about the book with someone else, and she said that she had tried to read it but couldn't enjoy it because she found Finn himself to be so awful that she just hated him. However, when I read it, I found myself pitying him, and hoping that some day he'd redeem himself before it was too late, and knowing that it probably wouldn't happen.

In general, I'm curious as to what sorts of reactions you get from readers regarding this character?

Renee Russell

Registered
Reaction score
I read FINN when it was first released and loved it. Yes, it's a dark story, but so beautifully written, I couldn't put it down.

Renee

Jon Clinch

Hey, Patti --

You're right on the mark for the way that 99.999% of readers seem to experience Finn. They really root for him to rise above his limitations and tendencies and addictions and habits, and often enough they find themselves a little bit creeped out by their sympathy for him.

Thanks for reading!

And hey, Toothpaste and Renee and Will...

-- J

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I stayed home yesterday to grade English papers. I'd just gotten my copy of Jon Clinch's FINN the day before, and so I thought that early in the morning I would just have a glance at the first few pages. At 4 p.m. yesterday I put it down, completed. I didn't get around to those darn papers afterall, but I now know there is a new and important talent that exists in American Letters. FINN is a brilliant novel of wide and breathless proportions. The story and language is like the river Finn knows better than any other part of his life, save the whiskey--40-rod--that perpetuates his hatred and skewed view of the world. The currents of the novel are at times fast, often lazy and beautiful, and even stationary like the eddies that swirl and go no place. Mr. Clinch has created his own characters without ever stepping on the toes of Twain's own classic creations. The dialogue is terse but robust with innuendo unlike Twain's fast-paced and noisy--still beautiful-Huck Finn. This is a gigantic novel that will resonate for as long as people still find it important to read and write novels.

Thank you Jon Clinch.

Gerry Dodge

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't read this thread except for the first post, because I am afraid of SPOILERS!! I must must must get my hands on Finn. :D

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Well this buzz here has certainly made me want to read it! Welcome to Absolute Write, Jon!

Take a look around while you're here!

Trish

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! Do I get extra rep points for bringing Jon on board! ;)

Hopefully, Jon and his wife have more than one computer at home! Otherwise, with the amount of time Wendy spends running theskidiva.com, there can be a bit of competition!