Won't accept non-US queries ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieBilly

Beach sand in his ear ...
Registered
Reaction score
Here is something I run across a few times and don't exactly understand ... agencies that won't accept queries from outside the US.

I can understand the rational in most cases, although in this age of email/internet, even non-American's attempting to break into the US market face an uphill battle ... but what about us ex-pats who not only know and understand the American mindset, culture, way-of-life and can explain how Geo. W. Bush got elected last time, but happen to live outside the city limits?

Take my case: first, I have a US social security number ... then, I have a US bank account ... plus I not only write stories that take place in the US and never miss an opportunity to vote in federal elections. How good is that? Actually, the only thing I no longer have, to further my argument, is a US post office address. To repeat myself, with the Internet and email, that should no longer matter, should it? (Okay, sending a manuscript via the post office would take a few extra days ... but how big of a hurry is the publishing business in, anyway?)

To simply state "
We accept submissions only from writers residing in the U.S." doesn't make sense to me and is quite frustrating.

Am I wrong?

Reaction score
How can the agent expect to do business with someone who doesn't even live in the same country? It makes sense to me to only look for an agent in Britain. You might think you have special circumstances but you could be telling porkies for all they know, and if they bend the rules for you they'd have to bend the rules for everyone - they'd get people subbing and saying, "You did it for him/her...why not me?"

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
U.S.

I think such agencies are in the minority. There are hundred of writers living outside the U.S. who have agents here.

justpat

QueryTracker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.querytracker.net
It has something to do with taxes and legal issues. I can't remember the details, but I read something about that only recently. (Which makes me worry about my memory.)

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
If you're an ex-pat, have your brother-in-law back in the states send your script in with your cover letter from his New Jersey address. They'll never know the difference. And when it coems time to do a phone conversation, explain in your e-mail "Oh, I'm in Austrailia for a few months on business, is an Austrailian phone call okay? Or would you rather wait for me to be state-side again about nine weeks from now?"

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I can't see any tax or legal issues whatsoever. As James mentioned, a hell of a lot of non US writers have US agents. There is no legal obstacle I can think of (as a non-US writer who sells pretty much exclusively to US markets).

I would assume it is just a matter of personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.