ReadingWriters June Flash Contest

freshpencils

Registered
Reaction score
The parameters for ReadingWriters June Flash Fiction Contest are messing me up!

The guidelines are that the author must be directly involved in the story, but the story cannot be written in 1st person - no "I" or "me."

Presumably, the reader must know one of the characters is the same person who wrote the story - it can't just be a "true life" story written in 3rd person, for example.

Anyway, back to the requirement: how the heck would you do that? I can't even think of a way to get started. I'm hoping that I've overlooked some R E A L L Y simple solution!!

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
OK wait a second. I don't get it. We're looking from the outside, so obviously it's supposed to be written in third, either limited or omni. Fine. So do they mean that I should have a character called Eric based on me?

Jenn, is that what you mean?

Eric

jhtatroe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennifertatroe.com
More just that the author becomes a part of the story. Your character might just be called "the writer" instead of Eric. Have you seen Stranger than Fiction? It's another good example of the kind of story I'm thinking of.

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Heard of it. Never saw it. Again though, my concern is that the author has to be part of the story without being part of the story. That's what I think is so confusing.

I know I can write a story about myself in the third person, but I'm not sure if that's what they want. . .

Or is it supposed to be a story specifically about a writer, written in third person? I suppose that's what's confusing. . .

Eric