Which Sub-Genre...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPSpideyCJ

Registered
Reaction score
..... Of Fantasy do I write? I just wanted to know.

JPSpideyCJ

Registered
Reaction score
No, I meant what type am I writing, in my books? I don't know what type it is. The plot is about a farmer boy who wakes up to find out about the tower where the Immortal Spirits live, to bring them back to our world. He goes on a journey to find it. Then he, (and the surviving members of his party,) is blessed.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
I can't be sure without knowing more, but it sounds likely to be epic fantasy to me.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Oh good god. What a ridiculous number of subgenres.

How do you guys take yourselves so seriously?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I don't. I just slap together words and think of a genera later. That's why I end up with Romantic Comedy mystery with werewolves, vampires and 1001 zombies in Cuba as a genera.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
"How do you guys take yourselves so seriously?"

It's not a good idea to take yourself too seriously, otherwise you'll realise that the hours you spend perfecting a scene or working on a character's syntax can be used to play the stock market, make connections to get ahead at work, or doing other things that can't be construed as a possible waste of time.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Genres are for critics and marketing folks. And for genre-conscious writers. If you have to ask, it's probably not important (for a query "fantasy" should be enough, I think).

For what it's worth, it sounds epic to me, too.

Oddsocks

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with what the others have said - don't worry about genre too much. I had a look at that wikipedia list and couldn't place anything I've written, so I'm just sticking with 'fantasy'. If you're sufficiently successful that other people start wanting to work out how to place your stuff, celebrate - and let them nut it out for you.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I don't. I just slap together words and think of a genera later. That's why I end up with Romantic Comedy mystery with werewolves, vampires and 1001 zombies in Cuba as a genera.

Same here. Mine's an alternate history soft SF crime spy thriller that will probably end up being marketed as fantasy. Go figure...

JPSpideyCJ

Registered
Reaction score
After looking at that, I would say it is High Fantasy. The lamps are artifacts which save the world, and they only have a year to do this before the sinister Dark Lord Serenius destroys the Earth, as he is also searching for the lamps.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I assume agents and editors won't mind if I simply list my genre as 'fantasy' in my query letter and leave it at that? :D

And that definition of romantic fantasy isn't even right. Romantic fantasy is simply a fantasy with a strong romance subplot. Whether or not you have female warriors has nothing to do with it. You could write a gay romantic fantasy and have no female characters at all. Romantic fantasy should be shelved in fantasy, not in romance. Fantasy romance is a different sub-genre, which refers to a romance taking place in a fantasy setting. This gets shelved in romance.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
After looking at that, I would say it is High Fantasy. The lamps are artifacts which save the world, and they only have a year to do this before the sinister Dark Lord Serenius destroys the Earth, as he is also searching for the lamps.

No offence, JP, but your plot sounds kinda...done before. Whether it's lamps, rings, masks, spittons, or crystals, it all ends up in the same kind of idea. Try thinking up a real reason the badguy could destroy the world. Like the magical equivlent of a nuclear warhead...or a nation that has been whipped into a near relligious fever by his excellent propaganda skills...or something.

Also why destroy the world? It seems wastefull. Think of all the lucritave slavery oppertunities, mining potential. And don't forget the money you can make by selling Earth's women to the Pleasure Planet. And there is the long term satisfaction of crushing the human race's spirit by slowly grinding them into the dirt for eons opon eons!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

JPSpideyCJ

Registered
Reaction score
No, it must be artifacts. I based this on LotR and other High Fantasy, the world is actually destroyedin the last book, by means of a natural disaster. What I mean is, the plot doesn't reolve around stopping the bad guy, he's just the general of some army under commands from a captain who finds the main guys guarding the lamp at the end. He doesn't appear before this happens.

By the way, when I meant the bad guy will destroy the Earth, I meant he will open the lamps, the Immortals will see him, when he tries to control them, they'll get angry and blow the world up. The world's danger is not an immediate threat until the end.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I'd have to say epic or high fantasy too.

My Asphodel series is unabashedly high fantasy...but I destroyed all the fantastical archetypes in it so it makes me feel better. As far as something being done before---don't worry about it. If you're dealing with epic themes they date back to the ancient greeks and more (read Joseph Campbell for a really good clue of epic archetypes and the hero's journey blah blah blah). There are always going to be thematic similarities in epic fantasy---all because of one little word: EPIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.