Confused...

lastlight

King Sassy Pants Sasses YOU
Registered
Reaction score
I'm obviously new here, and there are a few waters I haven't stepped in. This is one of them. I'm interested in submitting a Fiction story, but i have no idea about what I'm supposed to do. Do I submit a short story that ends at the end, instead of a chunk of my novel? Where to I submit it? When? Is there a deadline? Will I get paid?

Thank you for taking time to answer my questions.

-Ed Faris.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Yup. Any short story (in our case sudden fiction, which is a story with fewer than 1,000 words) should be complete - with a beginning, a middle and an end. Unless that part of your novel is a complete story in itself (and why would it be?), no short story market is going to publish it.

You can check the Index for Sudden Fiction Markets thread (or for longer short stories, the Publishing Short Fiction - Markets over in the short stories forum) for markets to send your story to.

There are paying and non-paying markets, it's up to you where you submit it. But resources like Duotrope or Ralan will be able to tell you which is which.

Some magazines like cover letters, some don't. Some require a short bio, some don't. Some have deadlines and submission periods, some don't. You need to check the submission guidelines for any of the magazines you're interested in to find out which does which. :)

Don't forget -- you can always post the story here for critique if you want to make sure it's polished and ready to go!

Good luck and happy submitting.

lastlight

King Sassy Pants Sasses YOU
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a million Cath. You're so nice to newbies.

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Well Cath seems to have answered your questions anyway, but I think you may have been a bit confused (based on your original post). This is a critique forum and you can post whatever you want here. Either here or in the main SYW forum. You don't get paid for posting here, but you get valuable critiques (hopefully ;)). Then you submit where you want.

There are BTW some markets that will take excerpts of your novel if it is self contained (i.e. it's a story within a story so that a reader isn't going to be confused going in or at the end).

Best of luck,

Eric

Jedi Dad

Writing with Force
Registered
Reaction score
A great resource is the Complete Idiots Guide to Getting Published. It has a wealth of infromation.
The Fourth Edition comes with a CD-ROM with document templates, list's of agents and writers conferences.