Book Goal - Publish Sports Book by Summer 2008

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone - got a question for ya regarding my goal of getting a book published by next summer - in time for the Summer Olympics in Beijing.
To date, I have submitted a QL to about 50 agents in Feb and no one expressed an interest in seeing the proposal about this popular olympic sport w/ very few books on the market. My full-time, non writing job has kept me busy this Spring, and I am now able to rekindle the pitch (revising my QL and fully developing my proposal (about 70% complete) in June/July.

Question: Assuming I get a contract (!), do the typical publishing time-frames for a non-fiction sports book coincide with my plans to publish via the publisher route in time for next summer? As a fall-back, I am strongly considering self-publishing - given my goal.

Any advice is most welcome!

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I think a publisher would have to fall madly in love with the project sometime in the next 2-4 months in order to achieve the pubbing date you're hoping for. Not impossible maybe, but also not very likely.

Good luck.

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone - got a question for ya regarding my goal of getting a book published by next summer - in time for the Summer Olympics in Beijing.
To date, I have submitted a QL to about 50 agents in Feb and no one expressed an interest in seeing the proposal about this popular olympic sport w/ very few books on the market. My full-time, non writing job has kept me busy this Spring, and I am now able to rekindle the pitch (revising my QL and fully developing my proposal (about 70% complete) in June/July.

Question: Assuming I get a contract (!), do the typical publishing time-frames for a non-fiction sports book coincide with my plans to publish via the publisher route in time for next summer? As a fall-back, I am strongly considering self-publishing - given my goal.

Any advice is most welcome!

If you can somehow make it a more personal book, dreamtimepublishing.com has a very fast response time. I signed my contract in June of last year, and the book was published in January.

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
All: Thanks for your advice. I believe I have one last chance this summer to pitch this book. Will give it one more shot - before I head down the self-pub path.

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
Update on my project

As an update, over the summer I have resigned myself to go the self-pub route for a number of reasons. I am near complete in outlining all my planned chapters and hope to have this book fully written by December. With my goal of publishing this by next summer - leading up to the Olympics - I will begin working with others in 2008.

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
Mid Nov Update: While working from a detailed outline, I'm writing my first draft to be complete by mid-Dec. Then, onto revisions thru mid-late January. Have identified an editor who has begun answering my questions and will be hauled into action in late Jan - early March period. At which point, I'll be working with others to get the book published by late May/early June.

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
Mid January Update

Just an FYI. At this point in mid-January, I'm busily revising my first draft before providing to the editor in early February.

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
Latest update, as of mid-March. 60% complete with my third version - based on feedback from my editor who suggested chapter restructuring and overall, high-level revisions for this 50,000 wd book on beach volleyball. Goal: Publish date by the end of June.

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
Just an FYI that my narrative, non-fiction book ,that takes an inside look at the pro sport of Beach Volleyball , is in final editing. The 55 K book, "Order On The Court," is expected to be on the streets by early July.

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
Quick Update: Working with Graphic Designer for the next few weeks, before sending to Bookmasters for printing.

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
Despite a few hurdles encountered with grumpy and overworked graphic desingers, the inner and outer designs are to be transmitted to Bookmasters before the 4th with a targeted print date in late July. Now porgressing into further marketing my book: "Order On The Court" - an inside look at the sport of Pro Beach Volleyball.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Curious (no tongue-in-cheek) who is the audience for your book and how do you plan to publicize it, market it, and distribute it?

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
Audience: Any number of the 40 million plus Americans who play volleyball. Any number of the millions who will watch one of the top televised Olympic events on NBC any given evening. Any "X-Games" like sports enhusiasts.

Marketing plans include press releases sent to various publications and book stores, radio show contacting, creation of web site/blog, handing out promo materials at pro bvb events, mass mailings to volleyball players, ads placed in magazines, etc.

Bookmasters will be the primary distributor with its books stored on Ingram as well as Baker & Taylor databases.

fdevji

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to know how this project is coming along.

Good on ya for setting this up by the way!

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
As an update for this thread, my book, "Order On The Court" has been officially published on 8/8/08 - the start date of the Olympic Games where beach volleyball is one of the more popular sports. It's been a long haul to reach this point - several months of 60 hour weeks that are still continuing as I promote my book.

Summary: "On the worldwide stage, Beach Volleyball rules – no ifs, ands, or butts! Its fast action, sex appeal, and beach party vibe lure millions of television viewers to what NBC proclaimed the “hottest ticket” during the Olympic Games.

The United States has long ruled this sport. Yet, as these Olympic champions return home, the afterglow rapidly burns out. The ever-optimistic Association of Volleyball Professionals (AVP) always hopes for an Olympic spike that will sweep its Pro Beach Volleyball tour into the sports mainstream. Instead, this provocative sport suffers year after year. What gives? What’s going on underneath this lustrous sun-baked layer of sun, fun, and buns?

Order On The Court strips away this glistening front, revealing the dark clouds that smog Pro Beach Volleyball’s visions of respect and recognition. This benchmark book not only dives deep into the sport’s turbulent and amusing times, but also traces its history and projects its future."

Tom Burke
Author: Order On The Court
Www.orderonthecourt.com

Last edited:
Reaction score
congrats on all the hard work. wish you every success. about that 40 million Americans play volley ball? hmm that's about one in nine people. i'm kinda skeptical on those numbers. i dont know 2 in 30 or 40 or... but then again i'm getting on up there in moons all the skepticism aside. you kicked tail and got it done. kudos!