Contract Terminated

abwallace

Registered
Reaction score
July of 2007, my seven years contract with Publish America would come to an end. I asked Author Support name and address of individual I needed to contact, and I received a response. It arrived at the post office.

As of May 10, 2007, my contracted has been terminated per my request, and that PA is discontinuing the publication of The Mark of the Werewolf. And all rights are returned to me.

I'm planning to put it away for a while, then open it up one day and decide what to do with it then.

Just wanted to let you all know.

Toni

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
Good for you. I was released for two books last year. I found the best thing to do is move on and write something new. I did and it is being published by Champagne Books. I also have another novel finished and I am busy sending queries to agents for that one. As far as the PA books, I don't think I will re write them. I have grown so much now, it seems like a waste of time and it's hard to find a publisher to take any thing that has been published previously.
Good luck to you.

Jennifer Robins
www.jenniferrobins.com

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yay, Toni!!!!

How's things? Haven't heard from you in a long while (oh, and if you try to use my LBF e-mail, hon, it's not working. Use my regular e-mail or C.NorrisATlachesispublishingDOTcom)

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
So glad you're free of the shackles of PA!! :hooray:

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
Champagne Books: These people? http://www.champagnebooks.com/

Writing more and trying to sell 'em the real way is your best choice.

What is it you think about Champagne Books? I'm getting some good editing there and my book is looking pretty good. I have more novels, and I'm looking for an agent. I would like to get with a bigger publisher.

Jennifer Robins

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Unless I misread your post, the contract was expiring in July. So while I'm glad you're rid of PA, what's the big deal about a month early?

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
:partyguy: Congratulations on your new found freedom. From the sound of that place I'd be happy six months in advance if I knew I was going to be let out of a contract with them.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
Unless I misread your post, the contract was expiring in July. So while I'm glad you're rid of PA, what's the big deal about a month early?

bragging rites.

As in the rite of passage that allow a PA author to feel better once they know they have battled and won.

Or would that be rights, anyway?

I never can seem to get the correct rite, or I write the wrong right.

My head hurts...

Congrats on a release... Right?

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
You're right, Allen - it's the traditional rite announcing the right to a rite of rightful rites.

Want an asprin? :tongue

abwallace

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments. And Christine--you're right.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Toni's had a hard road of late (a very hard road, and it's not for me to tell you about it), and I'm sure this is one less thing weighing on her mind.

So lay off her.

I was asking a question. If you've got a problem with it, I suggest you PM me rather than telling me how to act.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's always great to learn that one more has been freed. Congratulations, Toni

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Sass, you and I both know you never 'just ask a question'. Not in your nature. :) You always manage to sound snarky; in fact I don't know that I've ever seen you say a single nice thing to anyone. Normally it doesn't bother me, but in this case it really wasn't warranted.

The big deal is she's free, doesn't matter how.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Christine:

Thanks for your illuminating exploration of my nature. Feel free to put me on ignore.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
July of 2007, my seven years contract with Publish America would come to an end. I asked Author Support name and address of individual I needed to contact, and I received a response. It arrived at the post office.

As of May 10, 2007, my contracted has been terminated per my request, and that PA is discontinuing the publication of The Mark of the Werewolf. And all rights are returned to me.

I'm planning to put it away for a while, then open it up one day and decide what to do with it then.

Just wanted to let you all know.

Toni
:PartySmil
That's wonderful. Congratulations!

Now keep an eye on your book for any sales that may occur after your rights are returned. It may be grounds for a lawsuit if you have evidence. Just something to keep in mind while you're writing your next book.

abwallace

Registered
Reaction score

The greatest thing about the internet (IMO) is the ability to share information easily. And that’s all I was doing. Where better than here about PA. I’m not sure why you became concerned about the time frame. I’d think you’d want to know why my questions weren’t answered. Why they didn’t give me a name and address? Instead sent me my termination papers? So in answer to your question, the time frame is no big deal. And I am sorry I didn’t answer your question earlier. I honestly thought you were giving me a hard time, and not expecting an answer.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like a heavy load's been lifted from your shoulders. I'm glad you can start fresh now. \0/

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Ok - that makes me so happy, I feel the need for a really crappy rhyme . . .

WEEEEE!!! YOUR FREEEEE!!!!

Congrats on the release! =) It feels nice to be let free from those PublishAmerica chains!

Good luck on your future ventures!!

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
The greatest thing about the internet (IMO) is the ability to share information easily. And that’s all I was doing. Where better than here about PA. I’m not sure why you became concerned about the time frame. I’d think you’d want to know why my questions weren’t answered. Why they didn’t give me a name and address? Instead sent me my termination papers? So in answer to your question, the time frame is no big deal. And I am sorry I didn’t answer your question earlier. I honestly thought you were giving me a hard time, and not expecting an answer.

A.B.Not to belabor the point, but Amazon has your publication date as June 1, 2001, which means your seven-year contract would expire on May 1, 2008, not in 2007, per your initial post. What seems extraordinary to me is they kept you under contract for six years. Congratulations are indeed in order.