How British is this...

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
You want to know something strange. It is a long weekend here, Queen's Birthday Weekend. But, get this, they don't have a public holiday to celebrate it in England! In fact, I think they're the colony.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
lol!

We had memorial day last monday as well as a teacher training day on that friday, so we got a four day weekend with two four day weeks on either end :D very nice.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
We just have a better work ethic than you lot.:tongue Besides, we've actually bamboozled you into celebrating the embodiment of the regime that colonized you. Pretty neat trick.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Actually Americans work a lot more than Europeans, there've been STUDIES. We take like a third the vacation time and all that, no siestas, no nothin'. So there :tongue

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
Actually Americans work a lot more than Europeans, there've been STUDIES. We take like a third the vacation time and all that, no siestas, no nothin'. So there :tongue

And apparently you all get out of bed earlier too. At evil hours. None of that is going to make you happier you know. Except maybe getting out of bed earlier, if you get to loll around the house drinking tea and reading the newspaper which is admittedly, a lovely way to gradually come awake.

Oh, and we have a holiday on Monday as well, only we're calling it a Bank holiday. Hurrah for banks.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
We just have a better work ethic than you lot.:tongue Besides, we've actually bamboozled you into celebrating the embodiment of the regime that colonized you. Pretty neat trick.

Well, ummm.. OK admitedly a Pommie mate I play golf with was saying back home he had 9 public holidays a year, here 16.

But "the embodiment of the regime that colonised us"... no, it's pure and simply seizing on any opportunity to spend another idle day quaffing great handles of ale.

... while watching, I can predict with a fair degree of certainty, the All Blacks totally dick the French.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Flawed studies, I'd say! And siestas...er - no, not in England.

Personally, I think everybody works too hard, and not at nice things, either. I think more time should be spent in the pursuit of happiness (not the film). I think there outta be a law.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
lol I know there's no siestas in England...isn't there a law requiring them in Spain though? (Yes I understand they are COMPLETELY different cultures :p Same general part of the world) Or maybe a law abolishing them...can't remember...

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
lol I know there's no siestas in England...isn't there a law requiring them in Spain though? (Yes I understand they are COMPLETELY different cultures :p Same general part of the world) Or maybe a law abolishing them...can't remember...
I think you're gonna need a bigger 'COMPLETELY'...

But enforced siestas...we like!

Reaction score
If we're all talking about an English bank holiday, why does the thread title mention Britain? :D

It was a Bank holiday here last Monday too, which annoyed me as all the libraries were closed. FOR A WHOLE DAY!!!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
But "the embodiment of the regime that colonised us"... no, it's pure and simply seizing on any opportunity to spend another idle day quaffing great handles of ale.
I am so going to New Zealand. Turning sows ears to silk purses is the finest aspiration of mankind.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
If we're all talking about an English bank holiday, why does the thread title mention Britain? :D

It was a Bank holiday here last Monday too, which annoyed me as all the libraries were closed. FOR A WHOLE DAY!!!

Y'all keep your money in your libraries? :Shrug:

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
France isn't real, Christine. That's why they can afford that. I'm sorry to break the news to you.

Reaction score
So. France isn't real and you can't explain Spain. What's your take on Germany?

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so sure if Jim Lehrer knows about WWII.

If it weren't for that wall the world would have forgotten that Germany was even around after World War II.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so sure if Jim Lehrer knows about WWII.

If it weren't for that wall the world would have forgotten that Germany was even around after World War II.
That's why they built it. Bloody attention-seekers.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Just a sidenote: Queen Elizabeth II's birthday is actually April 21, but is celebrated around her coronation date (Jun2) because the weather can be so poor in April.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
That's why they built it. Bloody attention-seekers.

Exactly! They were just planning ahead for when soviet Russia'd be getting all the attention. The song 99 Luftballons nearly derailed the scheduled demolition of the wall...

(this'd been planned internationally for some time; Reagan's famous words were actually scripted by a Mr. X, a supposedly famous but anonymous author. Many theories have arisen speculating on the identity of Mr. X--some believe Stephen King; some believe a resurrected Mark Twain; some believe it was Lincoln, in a moment of extreme foresight)

...because it called so much attention to Germany in the mid-80s, but the phenomenon died down and the wall was torn down only a few months behind schedule.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
They can't fool us.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Zahra, we must spread the truth! We must pass truth from person to person in an exponentially-increasing path so that eventually all of humanity is sick with the truth of European deception!!!

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Zahra, we must spread the truth! We must pass truth from person to person in an exponentially-increasing path so that eventually all of humanity is sick with the truth of European deception!!!

OK.

I'd start right now, but I've just done my nails.