Are you smarter than a fifth grader?

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Okay. So I was bored with things last night and I decided to surf the old satellite. I hit the local fox affiliate and saw this show. Ive heard of it but never watched it. (I dont watch much tv anyway) I thought with jeff foxworthy it was worth a shot if for nothing else than a few giggles.
Some of these people should be ashamed of themselves. The first guy on could not answer the second grade social studies questions that he picked to be his first question. The question was something like: Irving berlin wrote a song with the line "Stand beside her, and guide her..." What is the name of the song? (anyone care to try this toughie?)
Foxworthy then got the guys wife out of the audience and she played up to 175,000 bucks. These questions were not that hard, but they acted as if it were almost beyond their capabilities to answer. I answered all the questions they had on the show. Guess Im smarter than a fifth grader. God am I relieved. Anyone else seen this show? Boy the things I do for entertainment.

yer pal Brian

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Brian, I've heard of this show. I think it's coming over to the UK pretty soon. From what I've heard it will be Noel Edmunds (deal or no deal fame) who will be the host of the show.

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
I have watched it and it is hilarious. Yes embarrassing for the adults but I can't help wonder if the quizzical looks on the kids faces aren't masking dread that after all the years in school they will still be dumb when they grow up.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I auditioned for the show and was told I would probably not be called, since I answered every test question correctly.

/dclary, apparently too smart for are you smarter than a 5th grader

Writer14

Christina.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
it's funny...I've only ever come across one question on the show that I couldn't answer. But thats cuz i didn't learn it in 5th grade. XD

Florida seriously sucks, we are so far behind. Hahah. I'm going into 10th now tho =]

Christina= Smarter than a 5th grader.

I know this cuz my sister is in 5th grade. Mwahahaha.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
It's crazy how much students [are required to] know compared to the average adult.

America the Beautiful??? :|

It's especially horrible and shameful as far as the sciences go...after a year of AP bio I've learned mainly that the average adult has NO idea what's going on in the world of science (which is a major component of our world) and doesn't care. They know about the stock market! Shouldn't they know that yes, we probably CAN cure cancer?

Come on man, RNA interference. UMass won the Nobel Prize for it last year.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
America the Beautiful??? :|

(Loud annoying buzzer) Im sorry but thats wrong. Thanks for playing 'Are you smarter than a fifth grader?' and missing the second grade social studies question.

I will go ahead an derail my own thread (A first for me!)

Answer is: God bless america.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I auditioned for the show and was told I would probably not be called, since I answered every test question correctly.

/dclary, apparently too smart for are you smarter than a 5th grader
You might qualify for Jeopardy.

Which reminds me, I might have been wrong all these years, there may well be something worth watching on TV.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
It’s time to take the test to see if you are Smarter than a 5th Grader.

Well this test is seriously unfair!

5. How long is one regular term for a U.S. Representative?

How am I supposed to know??

7. Which of the following states is NOT on the Gulf of Mexico?

I can tell you which Mexican states are NOT in the Gulf of Mexico.

11. Which one of the following states is NOT part of the Four Corners?

What are the Four Corners??

16. Emma has 2 yard sticks. She also has a 12-inch ruler. She laid them end-to-end in a line. How many feet long is the line?

I use the metric system!! Damn you and your illogical systems!!

Those are the only ones I got wrong, though. Does that make me smarter than a 5th grader in the US?

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Well this test is seriously unfair!

5. How long is one regular term for a U.S. Representative?

How am I supposed to know??

7. Which of the following states is NOT on the Gulf of Mexico?

I can tell you which Mexican states are NOT in the Gulf of Mexico.

11. Which one of the following states is NOT part of the Four Corners?

What are the Four Corners??

16. Emma has 2 yard sticks. She also has a 12-inch ruler. She laid them end-to-end in a line. How many feet long is the line?

I use the metric system!! Damn you and your illogical systems!!

Those are the only ones I got wrong, though. Does that make me smarter than a 5th grader in the US?
Depends on your percentage. Did you flunk?

FatTire

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
They have a ban on teachers trying out for the show. Go figure!

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
It could be people like me they want for this show.

I tried out for a Jeopardy-style show back in the mig-eighties. Out of two hundred plus people, one other guy and I scored 100 percent on the test.

Then they used a set mock-up for the next part, and I froze up. I couldn't deal with the thought of the cameras and the audience. I don't recall answering a single question right, the few that I even belled-in on. (One of those hotel bell things.)

I didn't know I was camera shy until then.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
I read about it on footballoutsiders.com but didn't know they were sending up an actual TV show.

The version I read showed actual NFL player/coach/owner decisions vs how a fifth grader would act in the same situations. Hilarious.

I suppose the TV show you're watching will reach Thailand in another 5 or 10 years. My most valuable Thai employee has a sixth grade education and is smarter than Jethro Bodine, but I can still cipher better.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always shaking my head at some of those tv shows. Remember the first guy to win a million on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? The second-last question was "how far is the Earth from the sun?"

I fell out of my seat laughing since any grade school kid would know that even without the multiple choice answers up on the screen. This is the half-million dollar question when guys on Jeopardy are answering questions like 294 -- what is the number of steps to the bell tower in the leaning tower of Pisa.

Yeah, I had to look it up. :D

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Are you smarter than a fifth grader?

Nope

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
(Loud annoying buzzer) Im sorry but thats wrong. Thanks for playing 'Are you smarter than a fifth grader?' and missing the second grade social studies question.

I will go ahead an derail my own thread (A first for me!)

Answer is: God bless america.

Cripes, I knew that and I'm not even American. I think it stems from those old Kate Smith days with the Philadelphia Flyers.