The importance of one number

Status
Not open for further replies.

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
A month ago, I sent out several chapters to an agent, on his request. I hadn't heard anything and was ready to follow-up with an email when I received my package in the mail. It was returned, stamped with "Address Unknown".

My immediate thought was, "Oh, crap. The agency shut down. They're out of business and were running a scam, etc...." After calming down, I went inside to re-check the address. I had made a mistake.

Instead of writing "32nd Street," I wrote "33rd Street." I beat myself up for a minute, then laughed it off. I am re-sending the MS today with a note of apology.

Just wanted to share this with you all. I don't think it will make a big difference in this case (unless the agent takes this to mean I'm careless and doesnt' want to work with me ;) )...but someday it might!

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Whoops! Well, at least it came back and didn't simply disappear into postal purgetory. You'd think the agent hated you and the agent would think you were just a jerk. :)

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
Instead of writing "32nd Street," I wrote "33rd Street." I beat myself up for a minute, then laughed it off. I am re-sending the MS today with a note of apology.

To quote Billy Joel -- "You'll learn more from your accidents than anything you could ever learn in school."

I've made plenty of mistakes like that, PLENTY! Must account for my brilliance. (Said with tongue firmly in cheek. :crazy: )

Good luck on the manuscript!!

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Yup. I've got two words for you: Online tracking. It's 55 cents extra. Well worth it so you can watch and make sure what happened and send it again if it never makes it.

Eric

justpat

QueryTracker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.querytracker.net
Yup. I've got two words for you: Online tracking. It's 55 cents extra. Well worth it so you can watch and make sure what happened and send it again if it never makes it.

Eric

Thats a great idea. But don't try the registered mail service (where the recipient has to sign for it), agents hate that. They have more important things to do than to sign for every manuscript that comes through the door.

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
Thats a great idea. But don't try the registered mail service (where the recipient has to sign for it), agents hate that. They have more important things to do than to sign for every manuscript that comes through the door.

Funny you should mention that! I almost did that this morning, but then thought it would be a pain for them to sign for it. So I opted for the tracking number only. Now, my fingers are crossed. Good things....only good things...

Status
Not open for further replies.