The London Eye (and other London-y questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been to London, and there are a few technical things I want to get straight for my new (contemporary) YA:

When on the same side of the river as the Eye, looking toward Parliament, is the Eye moving clockwise or counterclockwise? Intuition tells me clockwise, but those kind of technical (and wrong) details can throw readers off).

Do the gondolas on the Eye move? That is, can you rock them back and forth like on other ferris wheels?

Is Westminster the closest underground station to this landmark? That's the one I used, but I'm not sure if I ended up walking farther than I had to.

Would Soho Square be a typical/acceptable area for a book launch party?

Thanks for your help!

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
I don't live in London but I am in the UK and I know people who've been on the London Eye. We think:

When on the same side of the river as the Eye, looking toward Parliament, is the Eye moving clockwise or counterclockwise? Intuition tells me clockwise, but those kind of technical (and wrong) details can throw readers off).
We can't agree on this, but the majority think it is Clockwise.

Do the gondolas on the Eye move? That is, can you rock them back and forth like on other ferris wheels?
No. Even if it were possible, the pods on the eye are much bigger than ordinary ferris wheels and don't rock. In fact, they're steady as a rock.

Is Westminster the closest underground station to this landmark? That's the one I used, but I'm not sure if I ended up walking farther than I had to.
Yes. We think so.

Hope some of that helps.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks for your help!

Waterloo and Westminster are the 2 closest stations, depends on where you're coming from as to which one you would use.

Who is hosting the book launch and what sort of book is it? The Groucho Club is one venue that comes to mind, that's somewhere in Soho.
I've been to book launches for a small press SF/F/H publisher in a big pub in Holborn

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your help so far! I think I might have some editing to do.

The publisher is fictional, but somewhat of an equivalent to Bloomsbury. You know, big press, big money kind of thing.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your help so far! I think I might have some editing to do.

The publisher is fictional, but somewhat of an equivalent to Bloomsbury. You know, big press, big money kind of thing.

If it is a big splashy launch with lots of celebs and journalists then maybe a functional room at one of the fancy hotels like The Savoy or the Cafe Royal

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again! You two have really helped polished this up. Hurrah for no blaringly incorrect technicalities.

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Clockwise.

And you can't rock them. You can fit fifty people standing up inside each gondola.

britwrit

Registered
Reaction score

Soho, definitively. The Groucho Club or The Ivy. I used to work near Soho Square itself and actually, I don't remember restaurants right on the square.

Status
Not open for further replies.