PDA

View Full Version : what are the best conferences for meeting agents?

sirlearnsalot
06-01-2007, 05:25 AM
This has probably been asked millions of times, but here's the FAQs section and I can't see it. I have a first novel that is a month from being complete and when I finish it I'm going to start looking for the right agent. What are the best agent-meeting conferences?

Thanks!

Soccer Mom
06-01-2007, 07:06 AM
You would have better luck with this in the Novel Writing forum or Writer's Roundtable. This is more a technical FAQ of how to navigate this site.

:welcome: by the way.

Anne Lyle
06-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Miss Snark used to say that she didn't go to conferences to acquire clients, but that might not be true of everyone. However it is certainly poor etiquette to go round with your manuscript cornering agents! If you can get an appointment with an agent who represents your type of work and who is asking to see pages or a synopsis, that's fine, but otherwise the only reason to talk to agents at a conference is generic networking. Buy the lady a gin, talk about the weather or the state of publishing in general, and show you're a professional by not mentioning your project unless she specifically asks :)

I'm going to a conference later this month, but my aim is to meet other writers, do some interesting workshops and maybe get some feedback on my writing. There are some agents there, but no-one who's on my querying list - which is ideal, because it means there's less pressure on me to get something concrete out of it.

P.S. Best way to find a US agent is through agentquery.com - then research the most promising agents on the web to see who they represent. That way, a) you can find out if they buy stuff of a similar flavour to your work, and b) if you submit to an agent who has a lot of well-known clients, at least you won't feel so bad when they turn you down!

Linda Adams
06-01-2007, 02:23 PM
A good way to meet agents is to volunteer at a conference--especially if you can volunteer for things like signing people in or helping to run the agent pitch room. Most conferences are starving for volunteers. If you can't volunteer, if something arises, be helpful. Like if an agent asks you where the bathrooms are, smile, be friendly, and show them (even if the agent doesn't take anything you are writing). You never know when that will pay off unexpectedly.

Beyond that, when researching conferences, make sure they do have agents attending. Some conferences are done by colleges and more on writing "how to's." They might have a few famous writers teaching the workshops, but no agents.

ChaosTitan
06-01-2007, 06:34 PM
I have a first novel that is a month from being complete and when I finish it I'm going to start looking for the right agent.

When you say "a month from being complete," I assume that you mean perfectly polished and in its final draft. Not simply "I'm done writing it." Researching agents is fine at any stage, but you don't want to start querying until you have a polished draft.