Should I go... school reunions

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Opinions please... school reunions (primary school mind you, not even high school). We have one tommorrow, and I'm in two minds. Two of these people are still mates who I see from time to time, and are good value to get drunk with. But the others I haven't seen in... oh, 35+ years. Does this crowd (except me of course, I'm incredible company) look as though they'll party hard?

Your experiences of the reunions please. Will I enjoy it? (Weird looking bunch to me)

1966Std_3.jpg

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Some of them look like they were fairly mischievous. Perhaps they still are?

And makes for some great people-watching - you could get a quirk for your next MC by going.

If nothing else, the friends you still have from the bunch will be there.

I say you should go.

Trish, who's never gone to any of her own reunions.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow - I dunno, looks like a freaky bunch to me!

Then again, it could be a real hoot.

I've avoided each and every renuion, myself. Can't even remember anyone's name, except the 2 I stayed in touch with.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
which freak...oh, I mean kid...are you, Kiwi?

are you the one second row all the way to the right with his tongue sticking out?

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
which freak...oh, I mean kid...are you, Kiwi?

are you the one second row all the way to the right with his tongue sticking out?

Hmmm, we could play a "match the person to the life story" game here. Nah, I'm second row down, third from right (I mean right of the photo).

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well you are a handsome devil.

I haven't been to a reunion, but my mom went to her 30th highschool reunion and had a great time, but she said she hung out with people she didn't know in school.

Reaction score
I honestly don't see the point of things like friendsreunited or school reunions. If someone is still your friend, you'll still be in contact with them. But if you need to search for someone, or get in touch through a school reunion, they're obviously not a priority to them, nor they to you.

I'm not a great believer in going back. There's no-one from my school days I'd like to keep in touch with - so I don't. If there was, we'd still be in touch now. And we're not. Because I simply don't care for any of them.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A reunion isn't necessarily "going back." I haven't been to an official reunion, but I once took a 5 week road trip to "all the places I used to live to remember why I don't live there anymore." after that trip I was able to move forward in my life.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly don't see the point of things like friendsreunited or school reunions. If someone is still your friend, you'll still be in contact with them. But if you need to search for someone, or get in touch through a school reunion, they're obviously not a priority to them, nor they to you.

I'm not a great believer in going back. There's no-one from my school days I'd like to keep in touch with - so I don't. If there was, we'd still be in touch now. And we're not. Because I simply don't care for any of them.

Yeah, this is the way my thoughts are going. Two of those guys are still friends, and really great characters. They're on the phone all the time badgering me to go, but... I dunno, I just can't even remember much about the others.

Funny what you remember from school days, and the real hoot was our fancy dress balls. Once a year, and quite good value in that you spent heaps of time off classes to rehearse these bizarre dances like the military two-step or whatever.

Anyway, it wasn't like you took a partner, it was done on the basis that for each dance you picked a partner. "Picking a partner" meaning the guys lined up on one side of the hall and on a given command made a beeline for their choice. Which ended up resembling a slightly more advanced form of that afternoon's game of bull-rush. Quite a few false starts where half the guys were tripped up, so the starter would bark instructions to line up again. etc. Remember this was fancy dress, so the poor sods who were decked out in mum's space-man creation were usually left wobbling around at the back trying to get their bearings.

No wonder later in life the Kiwis' mating rituals are rather lacking in decorum... blame the education system I say.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
A reunion isn't necessarily "going back." I haven't been to an official reunion, but I once took a 5 week road trip to "all the places I used to live to remember why I don't live there anymore." after that trip I was able to move forward in my life.

Really interesting what you're saying here. For a long long time I just couldn't even handle going near anywhere that smacked of different bits of my past. It was as though these memories of mis-spent youth, everyone addicted to everything going, screwed-up relationships, the whole bit... I just couldn't face it. Then one of the guys in that photo and I went back to our home town one day to look around.

It was odd... we peered through school classroom windows and amazingly they looked basically the same, remembered flats we'd all lived in. And then reminiscing, like "Hey remember that night you were with that chick X and I was with Y..", and I was almost flinching thinking about some of the really crazy shit. But as you are saying Sass, it was as though I resolved a whole lot of things, accepted it and could kind of live with the momories again. It was a healing process, quite profound.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kiwi, I went to every place I used to live, even the place that I hated and thought would be very cold if hell froze over. I found a girl from my class and she was happy to hear from me and even emailed me a few times. In hindsight, it wasn't really all that bad. And I found out the girl who picked on me peaked in highschool. Ha. When I went to the town where I attended high school, I stayed with a family friend for 3 days. Turns out I should have scheduled at least one more day. Word got around that I was coming and I ended up scheduling breakfasts, lunches, snacks, dinners and desserts to fit in everyone who wanted to see me. not to mention the people who called the house just to say hello. I had no idea that many people cared or missed me. That helped to heal me too, since I never felt I fit in there.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
I've only ever gone to one (it was a twentieth reunion). My Lord above, what a crappy night. You could have made a list: who's gotten fatter or balder or both. Who's made it, money-wise. Who hasn't. Who married who.
Arrrggghhh...

Two words. Don't go.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
If you were uncool then, and you are vastly more succesful/better looking/married to a 19-year old Victoria's Secret model now, then by all means, go. Otherwise, I think they're probably a bit of a waste of time.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And how do you know? You are still in school.
Don't get me wrong, you are a great kid, and I read a lot of your posts before I ever figured out you weren't an adult, but there are things that can only be learned with time.

Reaction score
When I was maddythemad's age I knew I'd never want to go to a school reunion. I haven't changed my mind in over fifteen years.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
All right all right fair enough... all I know is that I sure won't be going to my school reunion, unless I have something to seriously rub in everyone's faces! :D

ETA: Double-post with Scarlet. And look what a well-adjusted, normal person she turned out to be! I must be doing all right. :tongue

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Might as well go. You can tell them you're an astronaut.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I truly think school reunions are one of the circles of hell, has to be.