PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

BrookieCookie777
05-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi all. I signed a contract in April with a small christian publisher. I won't mention any names, but they are a well thought of royalty publisher. I asked my editor a question today about when the book might be coming out. She said they were cutting back on mass market and were finicially unable to follow thru with pre-k books.

I will have my rights returned to me and can seek publication elsewhere. Wow - this stinks. I sent it out to five small presses and had two offers before I eventually signed with this company. Does this make me tainted goods to an agent?

Jedi Dad
05-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Thats realy a bummer. Sorry to hear.:cry:

Pat~
05-31-2007, 10:48 PM
What sad news--sorry! I don't know the answer to your question, but I know I'd probably resubmit it, regardless, to the ones who were interested--as well as some other ones. If it was good enough the first time around, it'll be good enough the second!

Soccer Mom
05-31-2007, 10:53 PM
What a shame. Yes, resubmit it. Your editor should have called you herself. I would first contact the publishers who were interested before and see if they are still interested.

BrookieCookie777
05-31-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks, you guys. I know you all understand how heart breaking it is! :Hug2: It makes the blow less fatal! Thanks for caring guys.

I will send it to those who were interested and email the agents I have a good relationship with. This is a big bummer but perhaps it just wasn't meant to be with this publisher.

Thanks guys! God bless!

Namatu
05-31-2007, 11:29 PM
Yes, I'd do as SoccerMom suggests and requery those agents who were interested before. It's no reflection on you at all! Publishing companies suffer from financial difficulties just like any company. Your work is blameless as it hadn't yet contributed to the bottom line.

Good luck!

BrookieCookie777
06-01-2007, 12:18 AM
All this really helps me feel a little better, guys. Thanks so much for replying! I keep trying to tell myself that at least I got out before they had more money trouble. Perhaps they wouldn't have been able to produce a quality book or put money up to market and make it a success. That's what I'm "TELLING myself" anyway!

Wow. We work on things for month after month, sometimes year after year and just when we think we've crossed the finish line. Pow-ee! Mushroom cloud! ouch. It stings! I feel like Farrah Faucet without any aqua net. Bummer.

Thanks again for the outpour of support guys. I really appreciate it! :Hug2:

The Lady
06-01-2007, 01:12 AM
Well, I'm sure others will be along who know a bit more about it, but for my own part, I'd leave it off and start afresh.
They stood on their own once. Use that same old winning formulae again.

justpat
06-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Does this make me tainted goods to an agent?

I wouldn't think so. An almost-publication is still better than nothing at all.

And sorry about your bad luck. You must be so disappointed. But you landed one once, you can do it again.

Plot Device
06-01-2007, 08:53 AM
I think the reactions of the other publishers will either be: "Yeah, we heard that publisher was going down the tubes," or "Really? Good to know!"

Stijn Hommes
06-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Yes, query one of the other interested parties. You can't be blamed for the publisher going under.