The Grudge

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I don't how many of you all like horror or not, or how many have seen the Grudge.

In this movie, many of the people are just simple taken and disappear, like the lady off her bed.
Some people have said that the evil spirit took her and the others to the other side. What do other think, I'm curious. they never explained it good.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
American or Japanese version?

I've seen the Sarah Michelle Gellar remake. My opinion? It blows.

The kid-ghost is creepy when it walks backward down the stairs, but I spent most of the movie wondering when it would end.

Sorry.

Jedi Dad

Writing with Force
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, walked out of the movie 40 minutes in it was so lame and boring.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Although I didn't think the American version was all that good (I understand the original is much better), I'm still glad I watched the making of the movie first or I still would have been scared spitless by some of the scenes. That ghost girl was creepy.

I guess I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to modern horror movies.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I switched it off maybe halfway through. As much as I :heart: Sarah Michelle, this film just wasn't good enough.

-Derek

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't mind it, but I watched it after 'The Ring'. Now that movie scared the crap out of me.

JJ

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I sort of liked The Grudge. It was by no means a masterpiece, but it freaked me out a few times.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Well with the Ring, as soon as that reporter has her phone ring in her hotel room telling her she's going to die in 7 days on the first movie, my phone rang like 1 second after that. Talk about making me jump on a dark friday night at 1 in the morning by yourself.

Anyways, I was actually just wondering where anybody thought these people were taken by that ghost girl who disappeared, like that girl from the first Grudge who was taken right from her bed and vanished.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
I watched both the orginal and the remake and the remake sucks so much. The orginal was scary as all hell. No explination, the people just start disappering. There's this scene at the end that's really haunting in the orginal. Right before the credits it shows the city, the streets are deserted and there are all these missing posters on everything.

My sister says that the sequal (Jap. version) explains what happened.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Although I didn't think the American version was all that good (I understand the original is much better), .

I think it is. What most people don't know is that it is actually directed by the same guy. But he had done 4 feature films and 2 shorts by this time, all on this story, and I think he just got bored with the whole thing.

I'm still glad I watched the making of the movie first or I still would have been scared spitless by some of the scenes. That ghost girl was creepy.

I agree. I liked seeing the behind the scenes with the little boy dancing. It made it a lot less scary!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I watched The Ring & loved how scared I was because of it. Well, loved it in retrospect. I watched it just before moving into my first apartment (living alone with my cats), & I think it was four months before I was no longer too scared to go back downstairs if I had already turned off the lights at night.

I was hoping for the same kind of reaction from The Grudge, but nope. I was jumping lots in the theater (that one little boy was creeeeeepy), but it certainly didn't keep me up at night like The Ring did at first.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I didn't even find The Ring all that scary. What's wrong with me? :cry:

And since a thread about The Grudge could easily be misconstrued as a thread about Sarah Michelle Gellar movies that blow, don't waste your money renting "The Return."

I want my money back..... :rant:

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
I admit I was pretty creeped out when I saw it. My then-roommate and I turned off all the lights and watched it in the dead of night; I'm very visually oriented, and the ghosts were well-done, so that was pretty much enough for me.

The scene in the bed is what got me. The bed is your safe zone, man...they can't GET you there. I figured the ghost just pulled her into the ether or something.

My question was the poor girl in the beginning who got her jaw ripped off and was later seen in zombie form by Ted Raimi's character -- what happened with that? Did the original ghost possess her body, was she actually a zombie...? Apparently he died after, so...

Blegh. In hindsight it wasn't a spectacular flick, but I still don't like those ghosts.