PDA

View Full Version : Child protective services question

onetiredmama
05-31-2007, 07:29 PM
When CPS igets a complaint, do they always make a home visit to investigate? And when they do make the home visit, do they always need wait to review the case and file a report before they decide if there is any substance to the accusations? Or do they sometimes show up and say, I see no problem here, and close the case? Are there any circumstances in which they reveal who made the accusations?

If anyone has ever worked for CPS I'd love a PM to ask a few more specific questions. I've poked around on some websites, but haven't been able to get all the details I need.

I haven't had good luck in the past contacting government agencies for research information, so I thought I'd ask here first. Thanks for any help!

jclarkdawe
05-31-2007, 08:09 PM
When CPS igets a complaint, do they always make a home visit to investigate? Not always. Sometimes it can be determined by phone conversations if it is minor and no prior complaints. And when they do make the home visit, do they always need wait to review the case and file a report before they decide if there is any substance to the accusations? Depends on level of expertise and situation. They always do a report, but sometimes will make a determination on the scene. Or do they sometimes show up and say, I see no problem here, and close the case? Sometimes, not very often.Are there any circumstances in which they reveal who made the accusations? Sometimes, depending on the circumstances.

If anyone has ever worked for CPS I'd love a PM to ask a few more specific questions. I've poked around on some websites, but haven't been able to get all the details I need. I did a lot of legal representation for parents accused of abuse/neglect. Feel free to contact me. Remember that many experiences involving CPS is state specific, and even within a state, there can be wide differences between different offices. Neglect in Sullivan County is not the same as neglect in Merrimack County in New Hampshire.

I haven't had good luck in the past contacting government agencies for research information, so I thought I'd ask here first. Thanks for any help!

Jim Clark-Dawe

clara bow
05-31-2007, 08:34 PM
I haven't worked for CPS, but as a therapist I've had to make reports to them. I tried to address your questions:

When CPS igets a complaint, do they always make a home visit to investigate?

No. It depends on the complaint, and also if social services is already involved with a family. If you want to post more info on the type of complaint youíre thinking about, that would help in answering this question.

Some cases automatically involve the police, specifically if there is immediate danger to a child (e.g., you see your neighbor beating his/her child right in the front yard). Often, CPS cross reports to the police.
And when they do make the home visit, do they always need wait to review the case and file a report before they decide if there is any substance to the accusations?

To my knowledge, CPS documents everything reported from day one. This is done regardless of the severity of the complaint and if a home visit has been done. The agency usually errs on the side of caution regarding the ďsubstanceĒ of an accusation. Before they send a social worker, they gather as much info as possible on the family and often work with the person doing the reporting (if itís someone in a position to help the child, such as a therapist, doctor, another social worker, etc.). Basically, as the info adds up and they determine if the child is in immediate danger or not, this determines the resolution regarding the substance of the accusation. Not sure if Iím addressing your question entirelyÖ?

Or do they sometimes show up and say, I see no problem here, and close the case?

Sometimes. But they keep track of reports, so if someone else makes a call regarding this child, they can draw on the earlier information as well.
Are there any circumstances in which they reveal who made the accusations?

Not to my knowledge. The reason is that if the person accused of abuse or neglect finds out, he/she may endanger the child further out of anger or revenge. Now, the person *reporting* can blab to anyone he/she wants, though the info is usually kept confidential. As a therapist, I prepare my clients in advance that Iím a mandated reporter of abuse and neglect. So if I have to call, depending on the circumstances I inform either the client and his/her parents, or both. I donít tell the parents if the child accused them of abuse, for example. I donít tell the child if I think the child is at risk of running away. Check with someone who actually works for CPS(!), but I donít think they share this information. Itís also a personís right to report anonymously. Hope this helps!

KingRat
06-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Several years ago, when I was married to my first wife and had two stepkids, her ex-husband got mad at her and filed a report to child services claiming that I beat my stepson. First they went to the school and interviewed his teacher and him. Next they showed up at my house and interviewed my wife and me (that's when we found out about it). She told us who made the accusation and told us on the spot that she saw no evidence to support his claim. The ex actually apologized to me for it some time later.

So, yes, in some cases they tell you who made the accusation. Don't know if they are supposed to, but at least one did.

Carmy
06-02-2007, 07:45 PM
I think it depends on where you live. In this part of Canada, no home check was made before a neighbour's four-year-old was removed from the home by armed police and social workers. This was done on the strength of an ex-husband's complaint.

After eight months the child ws returned from foster care when the charges were proved false.

onetiredmama
06-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the helpful input everyone. I'm surprised they told you who made the complaint. Good to know they sometimes do that. In my story, it's the young woman's mother who falsely complains her granddaughter is being endangered. Thanks! Lisa