Summer Slump?

donut

fame-seeking floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
telepathicparanoia.com
I've seen rumors in various places (Miss Snark and Agent Kristin, for two) that the publishing industry more or less goes on vacation during the summer months.

They can't all be off on yachts for three whole months, but I gather that work definitely slows down, very few deals are made, and even agents are less likely to take on new authors, since there'll be no one to them shop to.

Is there any significant truth to this rumor? I had been rushing to finish my latest edits in hopes of getting my next batch of queries out before June, but a new critique just dashed my hopes of finishing soon. Is there any point in submitting my novel over the summer, or am I better off waiting until September? Opinions are welcome, but experiences are even better: have you ever had requests for partials/fulls over the summer? Better yet, have you received an offer of representation during the dog days?

Last June/July I sent out a bunch of queries that pretty much all wound up duds. Of course, that old query letter was crap :), but I wonder if summer duldrums may have also played a role...

Last edited:

donut

fame-seeking floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
telepathicparanoia.com
Hmm... By the lack of response to this post, I'm guessing no one has any success stories to report from the summer months.

I guess there's my answer...

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
I think this refrain is probably exaggerated. I, too, have heard that things slow down, especially in August, but I doubt an entire industry would put on the brakes simply because people want some beach time. You might miss a specific agent, or editor, for a week here or there, but not for the duration.

My agent is submitting now, and will continue to do so, through the summer months. I say go for it! :)

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Well...I was represented in July...I queried WMA in June...I really think if your writing is good and your premise is good...

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
I just signed recently too with an agent - Orion's right - if the writing's is good - that's all that matters.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of the summer slump and that agents are slow to respond but I've never heard anything about them not being interested in new author's because it's summer and they don't want to consider anything at that time.

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
As far as landing an agent, there is not much of a slowdown. Some agents will be on vacation while others won't.

Where the slowdown actually takes place is especially in the larger imprints. Here's the main reason. Normally nowadays, you may get one editor who champions your novel at the imprint, but there's a whole committee of editors and others that has to read and approve whether to take it to the next level (usually an offer). And a lot of the time, one or more of these editors, or someone else at the next level, is on vacation at one point or another from, say, mid-July to Labor Day. Your book may be making the rounds among the editors who are there, but the chances of a decision being made are nearly nil. They may leave one editor in charge in the event of an important auction and do some quick work via a teleconference to cover it, but in the normal submission process, very few decisions are made until everyone's back.

It's absolutely true, and if you've ever been to New York City in August, you'd understand why. I encountered this very same phenomenon last summer.

Last edited:

justpat

QueryTracker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.querytracker.net
I've read that even though the agents are at work, they are hot and miserable and so harder to please. Miss Snark eluded to this in one of her posts.

This is one of the things I want to answer with QueryTracker.net. If all writers add their query info to to this database, we can look for trends such as "are there more rejections in the summer months?" and answer the question once and for all (and many more, I hope).