Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Writing is lonely, but it requires concentration. I've found, when I'm really in the throws of creation--when I know exactly what's going to happen but just not how--that I like to work in a café, with a coffee and a piece of marble pound cake to my right. I write without looking at the keys or the screen of my laptop, I just watch the people come and go. It's like I'm with them, but not, because I'm off in this other world. For me, it's like driving and listening to a book on tape.

Where do you do your writing?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I write at work (when it's not busy, of course!), I write while sitting on my couch, at my dining room table, while camping, sometimes while driving (don't worry, just jotting notes)...I can write anywhere. I don't need total silence or anything else. I just need ideas and either my laptop or a pen and paper.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
At my desk, my kitchen bar, or the couch. I don't like distractions because they, well, distract me. Usually don't have anything on that makes noise either. Only with one particular WIP do I play a certain type of music. It's not what I would generally listen to and don't know the words, therefor it doesn't distract me.

Silence is my friend.

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, I'm at the kitchen table. Mostly I'll take an extended lunch break and write in the car.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
In my "office", also known as the guest bedroom. Or on the laptop in the living room, or pen-&-paper under a tree somewhere far from black flies and drunk people (this only works 3 months out of 12, though).

Also at work. Usually on my lunch. :D

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
I really can only write at my desk in my office. I always proof outside on my porch (like I get a little outdoor break for finishing). If I try to write elsewhere in the house my six year old says, "Mama....mama....mama...I want..I need..did ya hear the one about...LOOK AT ME...mama." and on and on it goes. I need to shut the door.

~ Jennifer

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Starbucks or my bedroom.

At Starbucks, the baristas all know me. They generally like me and tend to give me free food and drinks at times (like when they're about to throw out/discharge some food for a nearby charity, or if they made a drink in error that wasn't what a customer actually ordered, or else just had me free samples). A few of them have read my stuff and say they really like it.

In my bedroom I have set up TWO desks--one for old fashioned letter writing (the snail mail, long-hand sort) and one for business and computer work. And I also have a lounge chair in the corner by both desks with a lamp overhead where I sit with my laptop (literally on my lap) and type away at my screenplays. The two nearby desks serve me well. One is where I keep my drinks/snacks and the other where I have my reference books.

The thing that's important to me about keeping all of this separate is that I can be easilly distracted. But by having firm delineations between writing and business and correspondence, I don't let the distactons creep in.

Also, my laptop is NOT connected to the internet. So I don't "drift off" to chat or IM while I'm writing (either at Starbucks or in my bedroom) and waste truckloads of precious time doing nothing but self amusement. Instead the worst distraction I have on my laptop is the occassonal game of solitare. And I find my solitare excursions help me think more clearly, and so I go back to my work with a slightly shraper mind from having just played.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I lock myself in a room. Any room will do (hotel rooms included), but I typically need to be alone. People distract me; they like moving their arms and legs (not to mention lips) and I lose my concentration.

Nicole_Gestalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolegestalt.blogspot.com
I can write anywhere, although I tend to sit in front of the computer that is just outside my room. Next to the computer is a window that looks out on a foxes den so I watch the various animals wandering around and although sometimes it does distract me a little tiny bit most of the time it gives me more ideas then anything else (although i'm not sure how considering i don't write about foxes).

When I'm not on the computer I write out long hand and do that where-ever I happen to be sat at the time. I have metal basket thats got all my writing gear in and so can be found wandering around the house carrying it quite often.

I don't need it to be silent around me infact I find silence very often distracts me, however I do become very absorbed in what I'm doing and so rarely notice whats going on around me.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
<---- This is my desk. This is where I write. I need silence. I can't do it when the kids are home or conscious. I've tried writing on paper outside, but it just doesn't happen for me. This is it.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Because I write full-time, I wanted a full-time office. I have a Nazgul hanging from the ceiling, aiming towards me, the Witch King astride, bronzed statuary of Greek gods mixed in with other Lord of The Rings collectibles. Floor to ceiling bookcases...and all done in a way to resemble stepping back in time, since I write fantasy romance.

But I grab the laptop and enjoy writing deep in the forest, nothing but the sound of nature, since 3600 years ago, that's pretty much all you had; the time frame of most of my work.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I've always used a specific place which usually turns out to be the spare room. Might sound a bit naff but I have to have a place I know is for writing and nothing else.

jedimaster107

Registered
Reaction score
I write at work (even when i'm busy). Whenever i have to sit and wait for a doctor's appointment or when i have to wait for something. Write while watching TV, sitting at the computr. Sitting down at the laundromant waiting for the clothes to get down. hell, i use to write while playing Final Fantasy XI online (that was when i was waiting around to do something or waiting for people to show up to go and do something).

Basicly, the minds always writing and when i get to a pen and paper, i write it down.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
<<< Here's where I write. It used to be the living room, but now it's mine, ALL MINE!

I can write fiction on the laptop at the coffee shop or elsewhere, but I find that my knitting books need to be written in my studio. The part you can't see is the opposite wall, covered with utility shelving full of yarn, the spinning wheels, etc.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
<---Sometimes from my desk, but more often I like to take my laptop out to the balcony; it's peaceful out there, and I love the view.

Attachments

• BALCONY011.jpg
    BALCONY011.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
(no picture)

In my bedroom, at my desk, on my comnputer. That's it.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Have laptop will travel. Usually I'll park my rump on the couch with the tv on for background noise. If I really need to concentrate, I'll sit at the dining room table but then there's this beautiful view that distracts me. Once allergy season is over (can't happen soon enough) I'll go outside and write.

Writer14

Christina.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Lets see...

I write:

::In my bedroom @ my desk.
::On the computer in the 'ghetto den/computer room' in my house
:: Library
:: Barnes & Nobles

=]

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Monday - Thursday, 6:45 - 7:45 am, Steak and Shake
Friday, 6:15 - 7:15 am, Bob Evans
Saturday, 7:00 - 11:00 am, Easy chair in living room

I am *not* obsessive compulsive. I'm NOT.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Where

I prefer writing first drafts outside, weather permitting. This may be on my patio, it may be in the park, or it may be way out in the woods. Subsequent drafts are done in my office.

Status
Not open for further replies.