PDA

View Full Version : Credentials, CV, profile, resume...Oh my!!

sarabi
05-30-2007, 09:50 PM
I did a search of the forums and found many threads about resumes, but they didn't answer my question. If it's been answered before, please point me in the right direction.

I have been digging through the Writers Market for publishers that don't require an agent, and list memoirs in their categories. Many also request that the query letter also include a resume, or something similar.

I am unpublished. The last contest I won was 45 years ago. I worked for 30-something years in progressive positions in Information Technology. Does anybody care that I earned a BA in German Literature in 1967, and an MBA in 1988. What do I show for credentials? What can I do in the next 6 months to get something to put on my resume.

Namatu
05-30-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm not familiar with the memoir market, but I would think the greater relevancy than education is your experience/"resume" that gives you the authority to write the memoir, which you could note in a paragraph in your query letter. A degree and published papers in rocket science don't do anything for a memoir about teaching kindergarteners how to tie their shoes over a thirty-year period - unless they're tying them in a zero-gravity environment on a space station orbiting the moon.