PDA

View Full Version : Working on Project #1 to avoid working on Project #2?

Bubastes
05-30-2007, 05:18 PM
I think I'm officially nuts. I had originally planned to work on Project #1, but now I'm writing Project #2 to avoid writing Project #1.

I guess I shouldn't worry too much as long as I'm making progress in something, right?

ccarver30
05-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Ha ha, I am kind of doing the same thing! I am working on my WIP instead of editing my first novel. You'll have to do it eventually... it's unavoidable!

Soccer Mom
05-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Once again, Meow, we are twins. :D I should be working on my middle grade novel, but I've allowed myself to start another project as a diversion. Second novel is taking over.

And all the while I should be spending more time querying completed projects.

I'm a bad little doggie all right.

ccarver30
05-30-2007, 06:01 PM
I am querying on my first novel too (obviously from my signature). :D

Melanie Lane
05-30-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm working on a WIP right now to avoid editing...hehehehe. :) And then I query on another to avoid working on the WIP. Then I begin another one to avoid querying and seeing more rejections. :) It's a vicious cycle, it is!

Birol
05-30-2007, 07:12 PM
I started Novel #2 in order to avoid Novel #1.

As for the not worrying. Well.... It depends what your deadlines are, personal or otherwise.

Writer14
05-30-2007, 07:22 PM
I think these are like...avoidance strategies...

just don't avoid to the point where you burn all your papers ^^;; (not that I have)...

seriously. I haven't.

I don't like fire; bad experience between a motorcycle and my foot. XD this is seriously off topic, huh?

scarletpeaches
05-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I think I avoid finishing things because of my fear of failure. But if it's gonna be rejected anyway, might as well find out sooner rather than later, which is why I've been concentrating on one book and one book alone, recently.

Melanie Lane
05-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Ouch. Fire + Body Parts = Not Good.

...this is seriously off topic, huh?

Not really. :)

And you're right, these are kinda avoidance strategies...is that always a bad thing? ;)

Anyone want to lecture me now about commitments? :)

fear of failure

It's only a failure if you don't learn from your mistakes! (Some famous guy said that once...) I laugh whenever I get a rejection...granted its so I don't run into the kitchen for tons of food and/or start sobbing uncontrollably, but laughing helps.

sunna
05-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Well, I figure as long as you're avoiding writing by writing, you're still...you know...writing. :tongue

Then again I have no deadlines. ::sniffle sniffle:: Nobody loves me.

Writer14
05-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Ouch. Fire + Body Parts = Not Good.

Not really. :)

And you're right, these are kinda avoidance strategies...is that always a bad thing? ;)

Anyone want to lecture me now about commitments? :)

It's only a failure if you don't learn from your mistakes! (Some famous guy said that once...) I laugh whenever I get a rejection...granted its so I don't run into the kitchen for tons of food and/or start sobbing uncontrollably, but laughing helps.

Its a really stupid story that involves me putting my bare foot on a burning motorcycle engine (I didnt know it was hot).

-cracks knuckles, preparing to give u a lecture-

Okay. You will stop avoiding your responsibilities and you will take action for your decisions! No more t.v! No cell phone! No anything! Not until you focus and crack down on your work!

How's that? ^_^

Melanie Lane
05-30-2007, 07:43 PM
No more t.v! No cell phone! No anything! Not until you focus and crack down on your work!

How's that? ^_^

Pretty good. :Clap:

The only problem is that the only thing I do is basically write or read. :) I don't watch much t.v. and I have three people that I call/text. My mom. My best friend. And my band director (my parents and him are best friends...I'm sorta getting used to the whole 'I go out to dinner with some of my teachers' thing...). I have a very blossoming social life for a teenager. ;)

Then again I have no deadlines. ::sniffle sniffle:: Nobody loves me.

I'm in the same boat as you. But just think of it this way...no one has yet recognized your genius! Muwahahahaha!

Writer14
05-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Pretty good. :Clap:

The only problem is that the only thing I do is basically write or read. :) I don't watch much t.v. and I have three people that I call/text. My mom. My best friend. And my band director (my parents and him are best friends...I'm sorta getting used to the whole 'I go out to dinner with some of my teachers' thing...). I have a very blossoming social life for a teenager. ;)

Ah ! Lol! Guess what, we're both the same age XD

When my parents are mad about something i did or whatever they go: No video games. No writing. No reading. No cpmputer.

and then i become the most bored person in the world. XD

Melanie Lane
05-30-2007, 08:00 PM
and then i become the most bored person in the world.

Ouch.

Then you can't even work on one WIP to avoid the other...

Writer14
05-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Yeah...its like the ultimate avoiding strategy.

Strategy 1: Put off one project for another.
Strategy 2: Just burn em lol
Strategy 3: Get your parents mad at you so you can avoid everything.

It's awful,lol

Melanie Lane
05-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Strategy 1: Put off one project for another.
Strategy 2: Just burn em lol
Strategy 3: Get your parents mad at you so you can avoid everything.

That should be the official strategy for teen authors!

HOW TO: Get out of writing that we choose to do anyway BY _______ (fill in the blank)

Writer14
05-30-2007, 08:38 PM

HOW TO: Get out of writing that we choose to do anyway BY _______ (fill in the blank)

HOW TO: Get out of writing that we choose to do anyway BY Christina [insert name of State here]

Yes...my last name is a state XD

Omg...i better not get published for those strategies before i get published for a real novel XD

Melanie Lane
05-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Yes...my last name is a state XD

Omg...i better not get published for those strategies before i get published for a real novel XD

Last name is a state? That's cool.

But you could write a whole book on the strategies you know, and be a field expert on working on other WIPs to avoid another...

Writer14
05-30-2007, 09:09 PM
><! but i bet i'd avoid finishing it lol!

Birol
05-30-2007, 09:48 PM

I don't know if you realize it, but there's a short humor article in this statement. You should go for it.

I expect you to have it finished by midnight on Friday, June 1st.

Jamesaritchie
05-30-2007, 11:53 PM
I think I'm officially nuts. I had originally planned to work on Project #1, but now I'm writing Project #2 to avoid writing Project #1.

I guess I shouldn't worry too much as long as I'm making progress in something, right?

You know you're in deep and serious trouble if you find yourself working on project three to avoid projects one and two.

Melanie Lane
05-31-2007, 06:02 PM
I expect you to have it finished by midnight on Friday, June 1st

Wow...a real deadline ;)

Too bad I'm out of the country at the moment on a borrowed computer...

zahra
06-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Well, I'm working on Screenplay 3, which I had previously ditched in favour of Screenplay 2 (which I should now be editing) out of fear, but to which I have returned after the editing of Screenplay 2 went as far as re-naming it.

Do I win?

gem1122
06-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Yesterday, I avoided working on my two WIPs by mulching and weeding and pruning for several hours. Now, when I get depressed about not writing much, I can at least look at the nice landscaping (thus, procrastinating even more).

Sandy J
06-01-2007, 08:38 PM
You know you're in deep and serious trouble if you find yourself working on project three to avoid projects one and two.

I'm juggling four WIPs just to keep from getting bored. What's ironic is that I seem to write more during the school year than I do in the summer. Perhaps it's as wise people say, "if you want something done, give it to someone who already has too much to do." :e2drown:

Ardellis
06-02-2007, 02:46 PM
I've been avoiding the project that's supposed to be my WIP for a month now. Mid-book doldrums, mainly. I've lost focus. Instead, I'm working on a new story for a character I've had kicking around in my head for a number of years.

I've promised myself that this is just a break so I can look at project #1 with fresh eyes, and I've given myself a deadline when I have to switch back.

We'll see if it works. In the meanwhile, at least I'm putting words on the page and enjoying it, rather than staring at a scene I can't finish and hating myself and my characters for it.

Sandy J
06-02-2007, 05:22 PM
We'll see if it works. In the meanwhile, at least I'm putting words on the page and enjoying it, rather than staring at a scene I can't finish and hating myself and my characters for it.

I think that's the most important thing -- not to get frustrated to the point you're blocked. It's why I juggle at least two WIP at any given time. Bored with one, shuffle to another. When I do that, it tends to free the creative part of my brain.