Etiquette Question

froggwater

Is it okay to query more than one agent, or should I wait to hear from one before moving to another? Wasn't sure what the protocol was for this...

bikerchick

It's just a brain storm
Registered
Reaction score
A quote from The Writer's Guide:

You are entitled to circulate your material to more than one agent at a time. If and when you do sign with an agent immediately notify other agents still considering your work that it's no longer available.

I hope this helps, good luck!:)

Jackie Coupe

Evil Lord
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.witness-online.com
A quote from The Writer's Guide:

You are entitled to circulate your material to more than one agent at a time. If and when you do sign with an agent immediately notify other agents still considering your work that it's no longer available.

I hope this helps, good luck!:)

Thats a damn fine answer.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Things in the writing world move at a snail's pace (or slower), if you only queried one agent at a time, you'd never get anywhere. I've had queries out for months before recieving a rejection. If you picked the wrong string of agents (not bad ones, just slow ones), you might only get 2 or 3 queries a year. And since some authors get rejected dozens of times before landing an agent, the process could take years and years. (It seems like it does anyway!)

So query away...if you're recieving a lot of requests for partials and fulls, then you might want to re-evaluate how many more queries you send out while the agents are reading your material. Not necessarily but possibly.

Good luck!

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Unless the agency states that its policy is for writers to only query one agent at the agency at a time. Several do ask that, which seems reasonable.