• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Do agents "stack" this forum in their favor?

Lindo

Banned
Reaction score
I ask this because of what I just posted to a thread about Levine Greenberg, specifically Jenoyn Adams, an agent there.

Several posters said she's irresponsible and uncommunicative, countered by Jeff Rivera, repped by that agency.

Then suddenly a bunch of posts start building her up. I started punching up their profiles and found that at least three had just joined, immediately posted only to that thread, and never posted again.

Specifically, I'm referring to one-hit posters montage, girllit, and latinoflavored -- who replied to a post saying "Red Flag" with an adjuration to chill out and not be hysterical.

I don't think you have to be Nick the Greek to compute the odds of this NOT being somebody stacking the forum as a very low pay shot.

So. Is this common practice, do we think? It certainly reflects very poorly on the agent in question. But this is a pretty major writing site. I just googled two agencies and the first couple of hits on each led to posts on AW about them.

This is really cool, and speaks for the usefulness of the site. On the other hand, it's enough of an edge to make a shady agent consider joining a few times to counter comments.

If nothing else, I've dropped my intentions of contacting Ms. Adams.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're being paranoid, personally. Sorry, but I don't see any compelling evidence to think the thread is stacked. People do google searches on themselves and their agents pretty regularly. The people you mention posted 12/13/06, 4/23/07, and 5/21/07. If this is some sort of concentrated hit, it's the weirdest one I've ever seen. Did they post months and weeks apart just to trick us?

People found a post about their agent. They like their agent. They decided to defend their agent. I doubt they were sent by their agent.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
I wouldn't be surprised if scam agents sockpuppet this board from time to time, given their low ethics standards, but I would think such practices to be fairly easy to spot. Ask scam hunters such as Victoria of Writer Beware if you're in doubt.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Sometimes yes, a client or the agent him/herself will appear to defend their agency. But I don't think it's a big deal, as you can tell from the number of posts that they are just here to do so, and to be honest when they show up it gives people here an opportunity to ask questions.

Lindo

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I;ll admit to being a paranoid, pepperland. ALthough there are, in fact, people out to get me.
But I'd counter your post with this: what are the chances that three people joined AW, immediately posted in that thread, then never posted again?

If I was working the case, I'd probably start with the assumption that they are actually clients who ran into the posts while googling and felt loyal enough to sign on and reply.

But I'd say it's just as likely that, yeah...she reads the thing and since it keeps going on, keeps asking people to jump in and post. Or does it herself. I mean, she'd be pretty stupid to do it all on the same day, right?

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Well, I;ll admit to being a paranoid, pepperland. ALthough there are, in fact, people out to get me.
But I'd counter your post with this: what are the chances that three people joined AW, immediately posted in that thread, then never posted again?

If I was working the case, I'd probably start with the assumption that they are actually clients who ran into the posts while googling and felt loyal enough to sign on and reply.

But I'd say it's just as likely that, yeah...she reads the thing and since it keeps going on, keeps asking people to jump in and post. Or does it herself. I mean, she'd be pretty stupid to do it all on the same day, right?

There are a lot of websites where any first-time poster who defends a particular view or person is assumed to be a sockpuppet. You can't really prove otherwise, and often info of that sort often ends up being less than useful anyways. If a user hasn't posted much, then they may not have enough experience to know what they're talking about anyway.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
You're being pointlessly paranoid. At least one of those people had a link to their own website in their sig.

Lindo

Banned
Reaction score
Meaning what? How is that inconsistent with what I said in my last post here?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Sockpuppets do occasionally turn up to defend someone who is the subject of a post here. Just as often, people who post alternate views are legit. This kind of thing has to be evaluated on a case by case basis. There's no reason to make sockpuppet assumptions just because negative posts have been countered by positive ones (or vice versa).

This thread is already dubiously relevant; the only reason I haven't moved it is that I can't figure out where it would go. I'm hoping it won't turn into an argument about who said/meant what, decreasing its relevance still further.

- Victoria

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I was considering the AW Roundtable, myself.

Long-time posters' opinions tend to be given more weight in any on-line discussion, just because everyone knows where they're coming from.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Try and tell me the post by BonnieDavis in this thread isn't sockpuppetry.

That seems to be open sockpuppetry since the poster states:

I work with Keller Media

In any case, it's full of obvious nonsense, like claiming that a business is the only good source of information about that business and using other standard non-logical arguments that seem to be favored by literary agencies with bad reputations.