PDA

View Full Version : Have questions...can it be possible? I have an offer...

Elizabeth I
05-30-2007, 03:49 AM
Wow! Is this forum good luck or what? I just signed up yesterday and today a psychiatrist I know offered me a chance to collaborate on a book he wants to write from a tape he has produced. He is well-respected and I am sure there would be no problem getting it published. (He probably has people waiting for it.) I have a TON of questions, like:

How do I structure getting paid? Do I charge for research, doing interviews, etc.?
What do I ask for as far as author credit?
Is there a standard contract form?
What questions do I not even know enough to know I should be asking?I know there's probably someplace here to look that kind of thing up. Where should I go next?

Thanks a bunch!

justpat
05-30-2007, 04:35 AM
Is this a non-fiction book about psychiatry? I hope he's not your psychiatrist, because that might be a conflict of interest.

As for your questions, I'm no expert but I'm sure it all depends on whether you are being hired as a ghost writer, or are a collaborating partner, or what?

CACTUSWENDY
05-30-2007, 04:38 AM
;) Welcome to the land of hopes and dreams.

This is great news. Congratz......

Sassenach
05-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Wow! Is this forum good luck or what? I just signed up yesterday and today a psychiatrist I know offered me a chance to collaborate on a book he wants to write from a tape he has produced. He is well-respected and I am sure there would be no problem getting it published. (He probably has people waiting for it.) I have a TON of questions, like:
How do I structure getting paid? Do I charge for research, doing interviews, etc.?
What do I ask for as far as author credit?
Is there a standard contract form?
What questions do I not even know enough to know I should be asking?I know there's probably someplace here to look that kind of thing up. Where should I go next?

Thanks a bunch!

Ding ding ding...danger ahead.

Siddow
05-30-2007, 05:43 AM
My therapist discovered that I'm a writer (okay, I told her) and proposed that I should collaborate with her on a book she'd like to write: Therapy for Dummies.

I laughed, and laughed, and laughed...

But seriously, if you're thinking about it, think about what you want out of the deal. Ask the Dr what he wants. See if there's a possibility of this happening. Unless the Dr is willing to pay you now for your work, everything hinges on the publisher. Nobody gets paid until there's a contract with a publisher.

What questions do I not even know enough to know I should be asking?

An old boss of mine had a saying: WIFM?
What's in it for me?
That's your question.

aka eraser
05-30-2007, 07:15 AM
For starters, you can visit our Nonfiction Writing forum (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13) and check out past posts. Pay particular heed to Jenna's stickied post about the nonfiction book process.

Elizabeth I
06-03-2007, 04:49 AM
For starters, you can visit our Nonfiction Writing forum (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13) and check out past posts. Pay particular heed to Jenna's stickied post about the nonfiction book process.

Thanks, eraser - you are indeed a super moderator!

Anthony Ravenscroft
06-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Basically: a well-defined contract; spelled-out performance criteria & check-in points; clear commitment from all parties as to availability & input; lengthy definition of "suitable"; payment schedule; cash down-payment upon signing & before starting; whether it's joint-ownership or work-for-hire; statement of responsibility for shopping to publishers.

For starters.

Jamesaritchie
06-03-2007, 10:46 PM
My advice would be to line up a publishing deal first, and collaborate after.