Status
Not open for further replies.

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
The Greensburg, Kansas library was decimated in the Tornado that took the town and lives. I know that taxes will flow last to restock the town library and the school's library. When hurricane Katrina hit I dove into an effort initiated by writers to restock the New Orleans library and ended up with over 13,000 books in one month from all over the world. Borders played a key role in storage and the Texas Library Assn. took over for distribution. So I contacted the Greensburg librarian and the Kansas library assn right away offering to help. They have responded ( see message copied below) grateful for the help but more importantly they need a place in Kansas to store the books while reconstruction takes place. So if you would like to help-either by contributing books or money or helping to find storage facility in Kansas or just by sending encouragement, I know it will make a difference!
Greensburg Library webpage
http://www.bigwell.org/library.html
Kansas Library Association contact
[email protected]
Thank you for your kind wishes. Our Greensburg library was destroyed, as well as both school
libraries. I have not yet been able to get in to see what might be
salvageable. KLA is taking care of donations, whether monetary or books or
other materials. They will also find a place to store these items until we
are able to build a new library. - (later message) Our library was a total loss. The Kansas Department of Health and Environment would not allow us to salvage any books because of mold and asbestos liability issues. There weren't many to salvage anyway. The last few days I have been watching as crews with backhoes and dump trucks haul away load after load of dirty, torn books, along with all our shelving, computers, bricks, cinder blocks and everything. We have no space to house any book donations at this time. If you have a place to store them for us, go ahead with your drive. Otherwise, just wait. I want the books, I love books, but I just don't have any storage space available. Debby Allison, Kiowa County Library, Greensburg, KS [email protected]

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I will post this message on my blog. Maybe we could all do so?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Done. Maybe I'll post a message in the blog forum linking back to this post.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Shame that the guy in Kansas City who's burning his inventory can't be bothered to help out.

HA! I was going to say that. Yes, it's a shame he can't donate all those books he's just going to burn. What a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.