dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
"Waaah! Pirates 3 didn't make as much money as Pirates 2! Shrek 3 is underperforming Shrek 2! Spidey-3 took longer to hit 300 million than Spidey-2!"

Shut up. You idiots in accounting never stop to realize that there are more factors involved in how a movie makes money than just the movie itself, like, competition (the second versions of these movies were released in different years).

Early summer box-office is underperforming?

Then why is our Year-to-Date box office total 3.6 billion (yes, billion) dollars, and last year's at this point was 3.4? And the year before that 3.2?

Bah. Reporters. All they care about are the negative connotations and implications. They never look for good news. They never report on what's working, and what's to be praised.

How the hell can anyone be optimistic about anything in this world when the only thing our news agencies see fit to print is the negative?

http://www.reuters.com/articlePrint?articleId=USN2826542020070528

Idiots.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm witha, deek.

With Spidey, Shrek and PoC all hitting the theatre in a 21 day period, how can anyone expect the numbers to set records? Yet Shrek did set a record for an animated film's first weekend. And still the whiners win out.

Sometimes I think Jesus Christ himself could walk into a network newsroom asking for an interview, but they would run the latest Rosie O'Donnell vs Donald Trump footage instead.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
With Spidey, Shrek and PoC all hitting the theatre in a 21 day period, how can anyone expect the numbers to set records? Yet Shrek did set a record for an animated film's first weekend. And still the whiners win out.

I heard some analysts talking about this a month ago. This is the gist of it. This month provided an unprecented opportunity to see if people will go see every movie that interests them or if they are restrained by their own wallet. It's market research into moviegoing habits that may influence future releases. It was an interesting discussion by smart knowledgeable people, not whining by media only looking to sell more papers. :)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I'm witha, deek.

Sometimes I think Jesus Christ himself could walk into a network newsroom asking for an interview, but they would run the latest Rosie O'Donnell vs Donald Trump footage instead.

I think I actually saw this on Mad TV once. Or something similar. Jesus is trying to get an interview at Fox or something, and the receptionist is like "Please, I have Trump on the line."

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to know why people like this think if a movie's release doesn't set records, it's a failure? What happened to total gross over the entire release? What happened to modest films that earn out their costs?

For the most part, ginormous blockbusters turn me off from all the hype (though I intend to see PotC - sooner or later)

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Dearest Dave,

It is not the 'bean counters'.
We in the bean counting business tend to hide out in dusty back rooms counting our beans. We are very accurate in our counting.

But, as business run, the big mugs want to place some kind of parameters around the numbers of beans we come up with. They want the numbers to be made sexy and attractive ( I have had a series of bosses who, when presented with nice even columns of cut and dry numbers, hand them back to me and ask me to 'dress these up a bit for the meeting' or worse "Make these numbers look sexy".

(I'm rolling my eyes at the memory)

And when accountants won't do it, they get 'managers' ( who have usually had the benefit of an 'introduction to accounting', class) to put the numbers on a sheet and add some comparisons so people will have something to look at while the big MUG is talking.

'Press Releases' that is what they are called.....

Numbers do not lie...people manipulate them. I could do the barest minimum of research, and by adding in numbers give you a report to convince you (well, maybe not you, but the general sheep -brained mass of grog machines that is the general public)
convince them of just about anything I want.

I can pull numbers from a 1943 MGM financial statement and compare them to a 1983 Hershey's financial statement, and then add in figures from Hospitals and use the numbers to convince you that watching movies while eating chocolate makes people get old, by showing that the number of movies, chcoclate consumption, and the number of poeple over 60 increased over a period of time...without adding into the report that the population increased ( baby boom) during the same time frame. More people equals more people getting older....

See what I mean?

But go ahead and pick on the bean counters.
That is what we get underpaid for.:D

Oh...Deek?

HUG!!!!!!!

Last edited: