Please help me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LitFa

Writing Frantically
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I looked through these YA threads and didn't see the answer to my question. If there is such a thread I would be eternally grateful to be directed towards it. :D So, here goes my question. Can the MC's in YA be 18 and 20? Or is that too old? It is a Chicklit/Romance story and the girl is 18 and the guy is 20, would that be okay or do I need to a) lower their ages? or b) call it an adult romance? Any help would be appreciated. :)

_Fafi

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I'm no expert by I see more YA books seem to be going out to those ages now. I can tell they are YA from shelving/length/reading age, so I guess is does happen, perhaps even in a bit of a new trend?

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
Coming from my opinion as a YA reader, age doesn't matter so much. It's about the story and the maturity of the story and whether or not the MCs are going through problems that I can relate to and understand. I don't see a problem with them being that age, as long as you play it right. Again, this is just my opinion and I'm not exactly certified to offer it or anything, just trying to be helpful.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I think it's no problem at all. People are getting younger and younger. Kids in their 20s (who are technically adults) are still more like teenagers now. Many still living at home, not knowing what to do with their lives (I say this as someone in their twenties). And think about the popularity of shows like The Hills which is about kids post high school, yet is loved by a much younger crowd.

I think you're just fine.

Hermshark

Registered
Reaction score
tone of the writing

YA doesn't always depend on the age of the characters (although that plays a huge part). If your novel is about 18-20 year olds, but is styled in a manner geared towards teens, then the book could be young adult.

To illustrate - there is a difference between the following:

Mike frolicked across the courtyard, wearing only periwinkle denims.
Mike ran through the field in his jeans.

Obviously, those sentences are a bit ridiculous, but they illustrate the point - they say the same thing, but in completely different styles. That has as much to do with categorizing a work as YA as the age of the characters.

Good luck with it!

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
Hi, I looked through these YA threads and didn't see the answer to my question. If there is such a thread I would be eternally grateful to be directed towards it. :D So, here goes my question. Can the MC's in YA be 18 and 20? Or is that too old? It is a Chicklit/Romance story and the girl is 18 and the guy is 20, would that be okay or do I need to a) lower their ages? or b) call it an adult romance? Any help would be appreciated. :)

_Fafi

My female MC is 16, the male MC is 18 and a minor one is 21, if that helps.

kim

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've read YAs here in the UK with protagonists aged 17 through to 22 and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Ultimately, until you finish the manuscript and can assess how it hangs together there's no point in agonising as to how to classify it. In the meantime, work on it on the assumption that it's a YA and see how it turns out.

LitFa

Writing Frantically
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the great responses.
veinglory (It would be cool if I was a part of a new trend) ,misslissy( I'm happy to get your opinion as a YA reader, Toothpaste( hee hee, I am also in my 20's and I live at home and am still misguided at times:D),Hermshark
(Thanks for the examples and the well wishes), Dancre (thanks, it does help me to know others are writing their characters a bit older) and Momento Mori ( I will follow your advice and continue to write it as a YA)
Thanks to you all. I feel more positive about my WIP and that it is in the right category. Rep points all around!
:partyguy:

LitFa

Writing Frantically
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Shady Lane

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Just to add to my earlier comment, Lian Hearn's latest edition to The Tales of the Otori had her protagonists in their late 20s with kids and it's still on the YA table.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.