There's squatters...everywhere....

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
These past few weeks, many of my squatter friends have been staying at my house. Every now and then, they bring a friend to stay with them at my house as well. Very fun, very fun, but...

Um....

There's 10 people in my house right now. 10 punk rock squatter kids running around everywhere. I never mind squatters crashing at my house- they need somewhere to sleep aside from a bench, and I like the company- but there's just so many of them right now :cry:.

I love them all very dearly, they're very good friends, but can anyone tell me how to get squatters out? No matter how many of them I kick out, more keep coming. And they won't stop playing guitar (the music is great, but I have to sleep soon).

Help? *puppy eyes and charming smile*

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
Been there. Cook really badly for them - they'll split. Actually, it tends to go only one way: you try to set ground rules for your own house and you become the big meanie, the badguy ... in your own house. Anyone who can't respect that needs the boot ASAP.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Shoot one. The rest will take care of themselves and flee.

If you are low on ammo, just start staring intently at one of them and then ask, just outloud, to no-one and everyone, "Does anyone know how to get blood out of soft furnishing?" Once again, the problem should resolve itself. Frankly anyone who stays after that really needs to be culled from the gene pool as they clearly have no sense of self preservation.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Have you tried setting mouse traps?

OOOW! There's an idea! Though I'm thinking bear traps.

Actually again, you really only need one. When the first one bleeds out, anyone still hanging around should be asked for assistance moving the corpse (or skinning if you want a nice talking point throw rug) and hey-presto no more freeloaders!

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Cook for them????
We have no food right now, really. The squatters don't mind. They've been rbinging us leftovers from different restaurants (they know a lot of people who work in fancy kitchens, so we can get massive amounts of great food for free!) For breakfast, we had cigarettes and cigarettes, until someone brought home some hamburgers around 4 PM. :D If I weren't so busy, I wouldn't mind them being here at all.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Been there. Cook really badly for them - they'll split. Actually, it tends to go only one way: you try to set ground rules for your own house and you become the big meanie, the badguy ... in your own house. Anyone who can't respect that needs the boot ASAP.
It's not that they don't respect the rules. All I say is, "You guys gotta go, I'm busy," and they leave. The problem is that different ones keep coming! They're all really good friends of mine, so they have no problem respecting what I say, but there's new flocking here all the damn time :(.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Shoot one. The rest will take care of themselves and flee.

If you are low on ammo, just start staring intently at one of them and then ask, just outloud, to no-one and everyone, "Does anyone know how to get blood out of soft furnishing?" Once again, the problem should resolve itself. Frankly anyone who stays after that really needs to be culled from the gene pool as they clearly have no sense of self preservation.
:roll: Sounds like a good idea, but keep in mind that most of these are punk rock squatters. I just asked them how to get blood out of soft furnishing, and more than 6 of them just said, "Hydrogen peroxide!" :D They're a little harder to scare away than the average squatter....

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Start holding religious meetings at your home. Lots of people dressed in crimplene safari suits and socks with sandals, all casting out lots of deeeemonnnnssss and that general sort of carry-on. Of course then the problem is they might start making themselves at home as well.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tell them you're calling their parents. When they think you're bluffing, do it.
Actually, this won't work for most of them. The reason that many of them are squatters is because of bad/neglectful family situations. You'd be surprised at how many teens have to sleep on benches almost every night.

Though, I could put fireworks in their pants every time they go to sleep.... Hmm.... They won't be able to sleep and will have to leave....

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
1) Pretend you have some sort of really itchy and contagious disease. (cough a lot for added emphasis).

2) Tell them you're having the house fumigated.

3) Tell them your 'uncle the cop' is coming for a nice long visit.

4) I guess if it really comes down to it, leave and really get the house fumigated -- no more guests (not alive guests anyway)

Oh my this has taken a very morbid turn -- I'm out. Good luck from someone who's been there.

~ Jennifer

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
More keep coming because you don't tell them "no" when they get there. Word spreads around that "hey, Tsuki will let you sleep over for a night no problem" and so more people keep coming after you've kicked the last ones out. Give em an inch and they walk all over you... there's a reason that line is so overused. It's true.

If you don't want to be totally heartless and kick them out forever and ever, start telling people there's certain nights they can't sleep over. Or something. Put a limit on it of some kind and ween them off of staying in your house/apartment/whatever.

But, if you truly don't mind them being there and are just venting a little, don't do anything :)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Poison them. Dispose of the bodies creatively. Then write a book about it. :D

Last edited:

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
Give them some housework to do. Tell them you need volunteers to scrub the trash can, the bathtubs and toilets, the litter pans, scoop all the dog poop from the yard, clean the attic or garage, anything gross and unpleasant you can think of. If that doesn't work, ask which one of them left crabs on the toilet seat.;)

dub

He ain't right...
Registered
Reaction score
Give them some housework to do. Tell them you need volunteers to scrub the trash can, the bathtubs and toilets, the litter pans, scoop all the dog poop from the yard, clean the attic or garage, anything gross and unpleasant you can think of. If that doesn't work, ask which one of them left crabs on the toilet seat.;)

Tools and paint, also get a lot of plants, everyone who stays works...period. Want to stay 8 hours, give two hours of work.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, Tsuk, I like what you're doing. When I left home at 16, it would have been nice to have somewhere to put my head at night and not have to sleep with an ex-boyfriend's semi .45...yeah...you all assume I'm the vampy princess, but this gal knows how to pull a trigger--and likes it!

I agree with the above poster...give 'em chores. I would have painted, cleaned, babysat....it gives a person a sense of purpose, a feeling they're contributing. You don't have to come across as 'mom', but more of 'hey, I need some help around here..who knows how to do....' you'd be surprise who's great at cooking, who prefers to take out the trash because they HATE cooking, who'll help with windows, or mowing...

But don't tear down your walls. One day, one of those 'kids' might be the one providing the living room floor/couch for the next bunch.

If it REALLY becomes a hanger-on situation, what I used to do, when I took in strays, is encourage them to start filling out job applications anywhere that was near. They didn't have to worry about paying rent while waiting for that first paycheck--something landlords don't understand the mechanics of--and when they get a few under their belt, while contributing towards food and toiletries, not only has their self worth gone up...but they start wanting their own place. You've given them somewhere that they can get a few paychecks under their belt towards deposits, or even hook up with a few others and move into a place together.

And if you've 'been there, done that', then whom better to be camp counselor and guide them towards independence? Because, at the end of the day, that's what we all truly want.

karey

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
It's West Viginia, Tsuki. Whaddaya expect?

My FIL is a squatter in WV. Yep, moved in with his uncle, the uncle died, he stayed on in the house. Been there for years; we still don't know who owns the house. There's squatters all in them dam hills!

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Barry Manilow works too...Neil Diamond. If they start singing along, well....might as well pull out the marshmallows and have yourself a roast...pretend you're girl scouts & bond. hehehhe.

Or go over to the Cabaret, and get yourself a stiff one...