PDA

View Full Version : My Galley came! My Galley came!

Chumplet
05-29-2007, 05:42 AM
This morning, the official approval of my book cover arrived by email. I figured the formatted version of my book couldn't be far behind.

It just arrived!!! It's in pdf format and I have to go through it to make sure there are no typos. I'm so excited. I can see the ISBN number on page 6 and everything!

I'm going to try printing it tomorrow so I can see everything clearly (no, I don't need reading glasses). Then I gotta send it back lickety-split so it can be released in e-format by a week Friday.

Question: should my pen name or my legal name be on the copyright notice? The page shows my legal name, but the page headers show my pen name.

*Dancing, dancing, dancing*

Sury
05-29-2007, 06:22 AM
How exciting for you! CONGRATS! :D

Sury

SpookyWriter
05-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Hoooddooooo...go girlie! We's proud of you. Congrats! Sell a million copies and I can come live as your man-thingy in the basement guy who cleans dishes and stuff.

aliajohnson
05-29-2007, 06:58 AM
I have no idea which name you sign with, sorry. But CONGRATULATIONS! That's so exciting!

:TheWave: :TheWave:

Toothpaste
05-29-2007, 07:08 AM
Yay!!!!!! (can't help you with the question, but . . .) YAY!!! I want pictures! I love Galley pictures! And I'll sit here and pout until I get to see one!

Storyteller5
05-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Congratulations!

The copyright page will show your real name unless you've made special arrangements with your editor to hide that. The front cover and pages will show with your pen name if you are using an alias. :)

Mel
05-29-2007, 07:19 AM
Whoop! Congratulations!
:hooray: :partyguy:

Susan B
05-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Wow! Congratulations! (Don't know about the name thing, though.)

Susan

benbradley
05-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Why do you have a pen name to begin with? Is it privacy? I think the copyright page should have your pen name on it, for your own privacy. Unless you really want your legal name to immediately be available to anyone who reads your book and wants it.

I've got this book club edition hardback titled "A Case of Need" by Jeffrey Hudson, it's not in front of me at the moment but I'm pretty sure the copyright pages says "Jeffrey Hudson" and there's no indication that that's not his real name.

I think worst case you'll have to open a bank account with both your legal and pen names on it so you can deposit checks written to your pen name from the publisher (though I'd expect since they know it's you, they should still write the check to your legal name even if the pen name is on the copyright page), and the bank should have no problem with you opening such an account because you're going to be depositing lots of money into it, aren't you?:D

Congratulations, and I'm next in line after SpookyWriter.

DeborahM
05-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Now, how great is that? Congrats to you! Good luck with the e-book!

atthebeach
05-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Congrats, how exciting!

Sean D. Schaffer
05-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Awesome news, Chumplet! Congratulations!

:hooray:

Mandy-Jane
05-29-2007, 10:42 AM
That's wonderful news. Congratulations!

CACTUSWENDY
05-29-2007, 11:06 AM
:) Wonderful news. Much success, great fame, and all that jazz.

(still trying to figure out what a 'man-thingy' is. And in the ah...basement?)

glassquill
05-29-2007, 11:41 AM
:hooray: Congratulations! :e2cheer: :e2cheer: :e2cheer:

Angelinity
05-29-2007, 11:52 AM
who's a happy girl then :D well done, best of luck with it!

Calla Lily
05-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Woo-hoo! :hooray:

Congratulations! :partyguy:

oarsman
05-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Excit:hooray::hooray:ing!!!

Saundra Julian
05-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Wonderful..congratulations!

CaroGirl
05-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Wow, that's fantastic! It must make it so much more, well, REAL. Congratulations on your success!

Chumplet
05-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Yay!!!!!! (can't help you with the question, but . . .) YAY!!! I want pictures! I love Galley pictures! And I'll sit here and pout until I get to see one!
I'd love to accommodate you, Toothpaste, but it came in pdf format and I printed it out today sideways - two to a page to save paper. I suppose I can take a picture of that, but it wouldn't be as impressive!

The name thingy is just confusing. I figured it would have my pen name on the copyright page, but who knows? I know they'll be putting my real name on the cheques.

I just figured, anybody who looks at that copyright page will see my real name and ask themselves, 'who the hell is that?'

I'm only using a pen name because Sandra Cormier sounds more lyrical than Sandra Turnsek, and it'll put me closer to the beginning of the bookshelves, I guess.

Thanks for the kudos, everybody!! E-book in a couple of weeks, then it'll be in print in a couple of months. Can't wait to get a real live book in my hands, then I'll take a picture of it for you, Toothpaste.

Spooky, you'd better be a skinny man-thingy because there's not much room behind the furnace.

Storyteller5
05-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Who actually looks at the copyright page though? Other writers, not your average reader. :)

AmyDoodle
05-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Congratulations. How exciting! This calls for a whole line of dancing Snoopies. :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy:

SarahinOhio
05-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Fantastic news! You must be ecstatic. I bet you can't wait to hold it in your hands...great job!

:partyguy:

Claudia Gray
05-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Wooohoo! How exciting!

wyntermoon
05-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Congratulations!!!

ThatGuy
05-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Your real name should be on the copyright page. Your other name will go on the cover and spine.