Status
Not open for further replies.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Turns out the entire show was an in-depth analysis of the hero's jounrey.

I was amazed at the line-up of commentators they had. Yes. We could have expected Peter Jacksin and JJ Abrams. And we could have also expected various professors of literature and antiquities. But Nancy Pelosi? Robert Colbert? Newt Gingrich? Dan Rather? Tom Brokaw? Wow!

::EDIT::

Did I write "Robert Colbert"?? Shees! It's STEVEN Colbert! (I musta inverted the phrase "Colbert Report" to "Colbert, Robert." :D)

Last edited:

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
This show was totally cool. I'm only annoyed that they didn't run it early enough for my son to see it -- he goes to bed at 830. Hopefully it will be on demand later this week.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
That reminds me of the book "Plot" which used Star Wars (Empire Strikes Back in particular) as a typical example of a hero's journey. Except for a few variations, I did agree with it. I think Lucas was a genius in combining science fiction, mythologies, Japanese and Westerns, fairy tales (knights, princesses, epic adventures...) etc. using hero's journey and its archetypes almost to a T -- the result was a crowd-pleaser, to say the least. There's a DVD called "Joseph Campbell -- the Hero's Journey."

While I didn't adhere to the hero's journey precisely, I did use it to some good extent in shaping my novel, The Pacific Between. It's funny because a reader told me that he thought there was a nice parallel between the Wizard of Oz and my book, even though the stories were completely different. I credited that to the hero's journey: The Wizard of Oz is another great example of that.

In many ways, the hero's journey is usually both a physical and psychological one. One can argue that the Lord of the Rings is another good example of the hero's journey. But Campbell didn't invent it -- he simply observed and studied it, and laid it all out. The hero's journey dated back to Odyssey... and the most famous of all hero's journeys is the story of the Christ, which of course spawns off many other different types of stories (the Matrix?).

I for one thinks it's fascinating that how so many stories can somehow be categorized, with variations, as a hero's journey and how successful they are (Wizard of Oz, Cinderella, the Lord of the Rings, etc.) Obviously, not all stories are hero's journeys, but you know one when you see it.

Last edited:

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
So, what did they say about the hero's journey? Did you agree with it?

Absolutely! The original Star Wars from 1977 is one of the most perfect specimens of the hero's journey you're going to find anywhere. They went over the details of the hero's journey, thread by thread, and demonstrated how Star Wars fits the model for it.

Most television studies of the hero's journey will cover the calling of the hero and focus on just that one character. But this show went even further and studied all the other characters indepthly as well (the princess, the rogue, the wizard/mentor, etc).

They gave background on Jospeh Campbell's work and one of the guests was some guy who is a scholar or curator of some kind who works at the Joseph Campbell Foundation.

Renee Russell

Registered
Reaction score
I saw this and thought it was marvelous!! I loved all the tie ins to the old myths. A lot of them I'd never really thought about before. Great show!!!

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
Good god, I can't believe I forgot to turn on my TIVO for this. I realized it last night after it was over, and figured it was just another "Making of".

Anyone know if they are going to re-run it?

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Good god, I can't believe I forgot to turn on my TIVO for this. I realized it last night after it was over, and figured it was just another "Making of".

Anyone know if they are going to re-run it?

I heard they re-ran it three times all night long into the wee hours.

It was such a heavilly advertized peice (they even did commercials in movie theatres during the past four weeks) that I'm sure they'll milk as many airings out of it as possible.

Here's the schedule from their web site:

http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=221476

Looks like it'll be on again this Sunday night.

Here's the "minisite."
http://www.history.com/minisites/starwarslegacy/

Last edited:

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
I thought I saw it on the schedule for tonight, Wednesday, around 6 pm central (don't know what time in other parts of the country they'll show it). I was checking the cable schedule for History Channel when I saw it.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I thought I saw it on the schedule for tonight, Wednesday, around 6 pm central (don't know what time in other parts of the country they'll show it). I was checking the cable schedule for History Channel when I saw it.

Yikes! It is! It's on right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.