Life after Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It made me wonder what all the publishers around the world who ramped things up for Harry Potter are doing to prepare for the end of the series. Raincoast has been averaging well over one million copies per Potter book in a market where (as stated in the article) a decent selling book is normally around fifteen thousand copies. Based on those numbers, their gross sales are going to nosedive to around one percent of what they were, even if every other book on their list sells well. It's not going to be easy to make adjustments for the loss of such an enormous revenue generator. And it has to be similar for the other publishers who have been putting out the Potter books in different countries.

This potential downward shift in revenue for the entire worldwide publishing industry is staggering to contemplate, and something I never considered before seeing that article.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
ChunkyC:
Based on those numbers, their gross sales are going to nosedive to around one percent of what they were, even if every other book on their list sells well. It's not going to be easy to make adjustments for the loss of such an enormous revenue generator. And it has to be similar for the other publishers who have been putting out the Potter books in different countries.

In the UK, Bloomsbury's profits have been down something like 25% - 30% in the years where there was no Harry Potter book. It pretty much took them from being a small publisher to one of the big boys in the UK market. They made a statement earlier in the year saying that they were looking on expanding their publishing lists at the moment in recognition of the fact that once the HP series is over, they won't have the cash to play around with.

Writer14

Christina.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I heard scholastic is going to be publishing a new series by Brandon Sanderson that they're hoping will fill the shoes of Harry Potter after it ends. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.